Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Pickup Ring or Not?

...that is the question.

Seriously, though. I'm not sure whether to use pickup rings on a 2 humbucker soloist or not. Guitar techs have told me that they are vital to getting the right distance to the strings, but I see so many guys not have them on their guitars.

What are your opinions?

You can adjust pickup height without a ring - they've been doing it for 30 years with single coils on rear loaded guitars after all..
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
      You can adjust pickup height without a ring - they've been doing it for 30 years with single coils on rear loaded guitars after all..
      So, you feel it is only a cosmetic issue, and what look you like?

Comment

For me the little details matter, having 4 unused screw holes per pickup showing raw wood would not be an option. I also like having the ability to fiddle with pickup height as much as I want without fear of stripping the wood.

Comment

I need a pickup ring. But that is my playing technique (or lack thereof).
          I plant my fingers on the pickup ring - can't do that without the ring.

Comment

+1 Pickup Ring.. some pickups are taller than others..for example a DiMarzio SuperDistortion is 1/8" taller than a JB, if it's a direct mount JB fron Jackson, you can't install the SD unless you route 1/8" deeper --- For flexibility in changing pickups...use pickup rings..
            Also yeah, adjustment is way easier

Comment

I don't like the ringless look.

I like a tall enough ring that shields the sides of an exposed humbucker.

Comment

Mostly a cosmetic thing. I know that look is "in" right now, but I'm old school. I wouldn't pass on a cool guitar that had direct-mount PUs, but I wouldn't usually order one that way myself, either.

Comment

Cosmetically rings are what I am used to. Direct mount just doesn't look as "good" - whatever that means LOL!
                  "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

I like the look the look of direct mount (most of the time). But as I said above, for me it is about how I play.

Comment

Direct mounted humbucker pickups are a massive no-go to me. I'm not going to buy a guitar without pickup rings. I just can't stand the look of it.

Comment

There is no tonal benefit to direct mounted pickups

OTOH being able to change the height of your p'ups does give you some options in output

My Ibanez has direct mounted p'ups, and if it wasn't for the fact I need to take a little off the fretboard end to mount a p'up ring (and enough other guitars),
                        I'd have put some on long ago
                        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

When is Jackson going to start putting Shark Fin inlays and pickup rings on their Soloists Pro models?

Comment

Working...
                          X