Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SL2H neck feels sticky. 0000 Steel Wool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2H neck feels sticky. 0000 Steel Wool?

I have two SL2H's, both from around the same year (2003-2004-ish). The Shattered Glass one has a black painted neck and back and it never gets sticky feeling. The solid white one is a different story. It'll feel sticky in no time at all. I have no idea why there's a difference, but there is.

So what's the best option? And please, no suggestions to put baby powder on it or something like that. I'm not looking for a "per use" solution, but something a bit more stable.

I've been reading that 0000 steel wool will remove the gloss and give it a slick satin feel. Have any of you ever done this? And if so, does it ever need to be redone? If we're talking maybe every few years, I'm fine with that. If we're talking once a month, I'm not. Also, is it relatively safe?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Just speaking of the top of my head I expect it will return to it's original gloss in time after you've steel wool'd it. Similar to a matte finish getting shiny.

Occasional future treatments will no doubt be required.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
      Just speaking of the top of my head I expect it will return to it's original gloss in time after you've steel wool'd it. Similar to a matte finish getting shiny.

Occasional future treatments will no doubt be required.
      Thanks. I'm totally okay with having to treat it again every once in a while. Do you think it's safe? Personally, I don't see why not.

Comment

I'm guessing the shattered glass has a poly top coat while the white one should have a urethane top coat (to keep it bright white). That might explain why they feel different. I have several soloists including a white one but I've never noticed any sticky feeling with the white one. Sorry, don't have any suggestions for you on how to get rid of that feeling. But maybe someone else here can suggest something for the urethane, assuming that's what it is.

Comment

Since it's almost certain it'll make a huge improvement, yes, I'd do it. It's not gonna' hurt it. You may get lucky and it'll last 6-12 months or more.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I do this to all my bolt-on, unpainted necks that are poly-finished where I want to keep the finish but improve feel/speed. You're basically satinizing the high gloss finish. The steel wool will remove a bit of that finish, but I always hit an endpoint where I keep "wooling" and no more finish gets removed. It's safe. You will get white powder being sloughed off, so I recommend applying the steel wool outside.

I haven't tried it on a guitar with a painted neck (like a neck-thru Jackson) but I imagine it will, appearance-wise, make the back of the neck look "foggier" than the rest of the finish. If you don't mind the look, go for it. I'm told a buffing wheel will bring it back to its original high gloss luster.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll probably take a crack at this sometime this week.

Comment

Here's a good video. Notice the treated area does look foggier and different than the original high gloss areas. His 15min estimate for steel wooling the back of the neck sounds about right, based on how long it takes me to steel wool my unpainted bolt-on necks that have high gloss finishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                  Here's a good video. Notice the treated area does look foggier and different than the original high gloss areas. His 15min estimate for steel wooling the back of the neck sounds about right, based on how long it takes me to steel wool my unpainted bolt-on necks that have high gloss finishes.

Very helpful.

Thanks!

Comment

I don't think I'm a fan of this idea. Why not use a high quality polish on it and clean it after each use. I just wipe my SL3 down after playing it and it never gets sticky.

Comment

Any wash your hands man!!!!!!

Comment

Some people's hands just react differently. Same as some people sweat more than others.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                          Any wash your hands man!!!!!!
                          Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                          Some people's hands just react differently. Same as some people sweat more than others.
                          You guys must have missed something. I have TWO SL2H's. The white-necked one gets sticky. The black-necked one does not. I have other guitars with necks that are painted, oiled, satin, or raw wood, and none of them get sticky either. It's only this one guitar.

Comment

Yes, I did forget you mentioned it was only one guitar.
                            My comment was geared towards the 'wipe it down' and 'wash your hands' comments. That ain't gonna' work for some people.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                              It's only this one guitar.
                              You need to wash this guitar's hands. It probably sweats more than your other guitars.

Comment

Working...
                              X