Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a Floyd Rose Tremolo work with generic posts / studs? Wood Screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a Floyd Rose Tremolo work with generic posts / studs? Wood Screws?

I just bought a non-fine tuner Floyd Rose. I want to make a strat with 3 single coils, but with a bone nut (a bit like the Guthrie Charvel guitar).

The tremolo however, came with these wood screws rather than the more common modern stud/insert complex. They don't look particularly impressive, but will they work just as well?

The alternative is to buy an aftermarket stud/insert complex. The one made by Gotoh is a locking one (a bit like the Ibanez Edge trems).

I realise that diameter of the insert / anchor is irrelevant - as is indeed the diameter of the shaft of the stud. It's only the constricted bit which actually contacts the knife edges of the tremolo - but no one seems to furnish that important dimension.

Would it be safe to buy the Gotoh studs - or can there be incompatibility between the knife edge of the trem and the 'recess' of the stud?

Expert opinions deeply appreciated...

I don't have your answer, but those flat head screws that came with the Floyd is similar to the posts used in on Floyd'd Jacksons in the '80s.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

First, those wood screw style ones are the "original" posts used with Floyds - if you have ever seen any of the countless 80s Kramer Striker, Focus, or US series you'd have seen those. For me, I love them and have never had an issue, but I've had a few people tell me they've ripped out of the body. I like to sork the trem pretty hard and never had that happen so your mileage may vary.

Locking studs with inserts, however, are also great and work very well too, and I don't know/can't think of any incompatibility with the Gotoh studs, I've used Ibanez locking studs on my Floyds before with no issue.

Comment

I'd recommend the inserts in this case.
        If installing in a strat routed body, the lack of wood in front of the treble post may cause issues later on. (ie. wood cracking)
        The insert will be more stable.
        The stud >< where the knife edge rides is pretty much standard.
        Last edited by sixstringer; 02-04-2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Might as well go with threaded inserts on a new build. The locking ones are fine but locking them down in practice is more trouble than it's worth.

Comment

Locking studs????

One question: Why?
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
              Locking studs????

One question: Why?
              Theoretically they provide better coupling between the studs and the body. On some minuscule level there may be an effect there. But having to go find that small allen key every time I want to adjust the action blows. So I leave them unlocked. The Tonepros TOM has the same concept. And it also blows.

EDIT: Also those small hex slots tend to strip out. So this sort of crap is totally impractical.
              Last edited by Axewielder; 02-05-2017, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X