Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When bending up with tremolo, one string dies

Hi guys,

Can someone point me in the right direction here?

I bought SL2H with OFR tremolo. I set it up with new strings (Ernie Ball 11-48) and now the tremolo is nicely level with the body.

I noticed one problem when testing the guitar:

When bending up with the tremolo from 15th fret and up, the 3rd string hits the last fret and dies, squealing. It doesn't happen with any other string. 1st and 2nd plays nicely when bending up.
    Is this common?
    Is it fixable? If so, how? Do I need to file down the last fret to make more room for the strings?

I had also a free string buzz (sitar sound)with the 3rd string but got it fixed by relocating the string in the saddle.

If you're pulling up and fretting out, the only way to fix that is to increase the action. Raise the treble side action a little. Or get a shim for that string saddle.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I would almost think there is a wrong height saddle in the tremolo
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
        That's actually a consideration too...
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post

Thanks for this idea. I didn't even know the saddle come in different heights.
          It looks like the saddle on the 3rd string is a bit worn.

So, I swapped the 3rd with the 4th and it cleared the problem! (sure, I will order new saddles after I am 100% certain I will keep the guitar)

If this guitar really is 12 years old, it is no wonder some parts can be worn out.

I am learning new all the time!
          This seems like an excellent forum, thank you so much.

Comment

the OFR trem has comes new with 3 different height saddle blocks. The blocks should be numbered. 1st and 6th string should be the shortest. 2nd and 5th next taller. and 3rd and 4th should both be the tallest, and the same. You can make or purchase saddle block shims to fine tune the string height, but this is normally only really needed for those players that want there action super low. Might not hurt to take a good look at the fret board, there could be issues there also.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
              Might not hurt to take a good look at the fret board, there could be issues there also.
              Yes, that is what I was thinking as well. Particularly since it is one string that is always hitting one fret.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakkapeliitta View Post
                If this guitar really is 12 years old, it is no wonder some parts can be worn out.
                I have takeuchi's and schaller's older than 12 years, worn knives, stripped threads, yeah,.. but a worn saddle? haven't found one yet
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

12 years is nothing the saddle may show finish wear but thats about it they are solid metal and will probably never totally wear out.
                  Also with super low action you will get some buzzing but if you can't hear it thru the amp you will be fine.
                  One last thing never file on a fret if you don't have to.
                  Last edited by straycat; 01-30-2017, 08:35 PM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                  X