NYXL and Floyds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYXL and Floyds

So I swapped out DR hi beams for NYXL on my Pro Mod. I tried the NYXL on an ESP Eclipse and they sounded and felt great, and stayed that way for a month before I popped a g string.... the first string I've broken in a couple years. I can forgive that for a month's moderate use.

BUT NOW.... the NYXL feel and sound great on the Pro Mod.... but I've had the g pop out of the Floyd block and then this morning the low e popped out. Bizarre. The string locks are just as tight as they've always been.

I did use gorgomyte to give the frets a quick cleaning, and I may have had some on my hands when I installed the strings.... but I've done that with other strings before with no issue.

Coating on on the NYXL? Bad luck? I wouldn't have thought much of it.... but the e?

NYXLs are not coated. They're uncoated. They're just a different metallic composition than the D'Addario EXL nickel-plated steel strings.

The coated D'Addario strings are EXP. The latest EXPs are actually EXP-coated NYXLs! How's that for confusing? The weird thing is that EXP-NYXLs are cheaper than plain NYXLs, so I recently placed a large order with www.StringsAndBeyond.com (http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/8thday.html) and hope they'll serve me forever.

No idea about your strings popping out of the Floyd though...

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
      NYXLs are not coated. They're uncoated. They're just a different metallic composition than the D'Addario EXL nickel-plated steel strings.

The coated D'Addario strings are EXP. The latest EXPs are actually EXP-coated NYXLs! How's that for confusing? The weird thing is that EXP-NYXLs are cheaper than plain NYXLs, so I recently placed a large order with www.StringsAndBeyond.com (http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/8thday.html) and hope they'll serve me forever.

No idea about your strings popping out of the Floyd though...
      Thanks man... should have been clearer with my sentence fragments.... was asking if there was coating on the NYXLs of some sort. I didn't think there was. Only tried coated with DR and despised them.

Maybe it got slick from the gorgomyte residue. Maybe it was just a freak thing. If nobody has heard of such a thing, that's the best answer I could get. Love the strings!

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
        Thanks man... should have been clearer with my sentence fragments.... was asking if there was coating on the NYXLs of some sort. I didn't think there was. Only tried coated with DR and despised them.

Maybe it got slick from the gorgomyte residue. Maybe it was just a freak thing. If nobody has heard of such a thing, that's the best answer I could get. Love the strings!
        Check to see if the blocks are indented at all, as well- depending what model of FR you have, sometimes the string lock blocks in the saddle will become worn, grooved or even cracked (as I have encountered when someone over tightens them...) or if they're not sitting right in the saddle, they won't "bite" the string properly.

Comment

I've always been careful to not overtorque for that very reason. Insert blocks are tip
          top. Re-clamped and gave it a bit of a beating Floyd wise & some big bends/aggressive
          picking and so far so good.

I know they are expensive as far as strings go, but they sound good and feel good far longer than other strings, and frankly I'll buy back the time spent changing strings out by paying up. Give them a shot if you haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
            I've always been careful to not overtorque for that very reason. Insert blocks are tip
            top. Re-clamped and gave it a bit of a beating Floyd wise & some big bends/aggressive
            picking and so far so good.

I know they are expensive as far as strings go, but they sound good and feel good far longer than other strings, and frankly I'll buy back the time spent changing strings out by paying up. Give them a shot if you haven't.
            Cool! Just throwing out possibilities. As far as strings go- I'm a fan of Ernie Ball Cobalts and M Steels. Never had a problem with strings slipping outta the saddle but given my abuse of the A and B strings, breakage is not uncommon after a month or so, depending on how plentiful our gigs are and how vigorous my bending and whammying are.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
              Cool! Just throwing out possibilities. As far as strings go- I'm a fan of Ernie Ball Cobalts and M Steels. Never had a problem with strings slipping outta the saddle but given my abuse of the A and B strings, breakage is not uncommon after a month or so, depending on how plentiful our gigs are and how vigorous my bending and whammying are.
              I appreciate it man. I know exactly what you're talking about. Have a JT-590 I bought used with a block insert
              that has the imprint of a wound string on it like a fossil on one side. Surprised it didn't crack.

Comment

The NYXL's are amazing strings I use to use em for a while till i settled on Elixirs. I really loved the NYXL's for their great ability to stay in tune and bend further than most strings. Nice to see you enjot the NYXL's
                Jacksons haven't failed me so far

Comment

Originally posted by PoopHead View Post
                  The NYXL's are amazing strings I use to use em for a while till i settled on Elixirs. I really loved the NYXL's for their great ability to stay in tune and bend further than most strings. Nice to see you enjot the NYXL's
                  Have to say it- because I started this thread questioning their attributes- that I agree with you 100%. These things are pretty remarkable. They feel good longer, they sound good longer, and they stay in tune better and longer than any I've used.

Feel like I should get a pallet of them before they go and change the "formula" like seems to happen with most products I come to rely on

Comment

Working...
                  X