Jackson DK2 fret buzz after changing gauges on Floyd Rose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson DK2 fret buzz after changing gauges on Floyd Rose

So long story short I went from 9s to 10s on my DK2 and everything went perfectly fine. One of the easier string changes I've had with a Floyd. But when I started to play it I noticed that there was fret buzz above the 12th fret mainly on the E and A strings and I'm not really sure what to do. Please help me lol

Common issue when going to a thicker gauge string.
    Raise the bass side of the trem a half a turn.
    Last edited by rjohnstone; 12-28-2016, 10:35 PM.
    -Rick

Comment

And adjust your playing technique.

Comment

How do I do that? I know I screw the screw at the front of the bridge but I've always been told not to dull the knife edge is there a trick I do?
        Is there anyway to lower the action and also eliminate fret buzz?

Comment

Loosening the strings will allow you to adjust the posts without dulling the blade.
          And when I say loosen, I don't mean taking the guitar from E to D. I mean, pretty much taking them off.

Action is sometimes a combination of multiple parts of the guitar. For example, different relief could allow lower action.
          Maybe you need a fret job or a new nut?
          Maybe if you shim the neck, it allows for a new angle, so that the action can be lowered.

But, I will repeat what I said in my first post - adjusting your playing style helps.
          I recently sold a guitar that was in perfect playing condition. Except, when the buyer started playing, there was all sorts of buzz. He didn't want to buy it. I played it for him and there was no buzz. I said "There is nothing wrong with this guitar. It is set up for me and my playing style. You need a setup for your playing style." He was insulted but he bought it out of shame. So, it really could just be 'user error'.

Sadly, thicker strings usually need higher action because they use more room to vibrate. It may just be that you are stuck with higher action.

Comment

Working...
          X