Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing strings

Hey guys
    I am changing the strings on my rhoads from 9-46 to 10-52 and tuning down from Drop D to D standard.
    If I change the strings, which way, facing the truss rod, would I need to adjust the neck after tuning the new strings to D Standard? Also what size allen wrench would a 2015 Pro Series rhoads use?
    I can't seem to find any of the answers to these questions in a simple format online.
    Thanks

Impossible to determine if you will need to adjust the truss rod. In my experience, I treat every guitar on an individual basis. Some guitars need it, some don't. Some may need it with the transitioning seasons even with the same set of strings, who knows.

All my Jacksons and Charvels with the truss rod nut at the headstock (as seen below) require a truss rod wrench (also seen below). I believe it's a 1/4 inch socket. Example vendor linked here (http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools..._Wrenches.html), but you can find cheaper alternatives on eBay or perhaps your local music store or hardware store.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 12-09-2016, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Agreed - no way to honestly answer that.

BUT, in theory, as far as string tension goes, each step up in gauge is roughly the same tension when tuned a half step down. So, a 9E wouldn't need as much change as a 10Eb or 11D.
      That would mean, in theory, that 9E would have more tension than the 10D. So, in theory, the less string tension of 10D would allow the neck to pull backwards.
      Last edited by pianoguyy; 12-19-2016, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
        So, in theory, the less string tension of 10D would allow the neck to pull backwards.
        Which might be a bad thing since the larger strings may require more relief to keep from buzzing.

Comment

don't adjust it yet. put the new strings on, tune up, and keep it in tune a few days to make sure the neck is settled. only if you decide to change the relief should you then make an adjustment.

since you're increasing gauge, if you need to adjust anything at all, the most likely scenario (IMO, it could very well be the opposite) is that you will need to reduce the neck relief, which means tightening the truss rod. this means turning clockwise (righty tighty) when looking down the neck with the headstock closest to you

Comment

Thank you for this post, I was about to ask an alarmingly similar question, but this answered it. I'm very thankful for the knowledge on this forum. Cheers and heavy riffs to all!

Comment

Working...
            X