Action won't go any lower on my Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action won't go any lower on my Jackson

Hello, I'm not sure what model my Jackson is, my dad got it for me at a shop for Christmas a couple years back. First off, I love the tone of this thing, it's mean. But every time I restring it, it is quite literally impossible to get the action low to the fretboard, the strings are at least 5 mm off and I really can't stand playing that high, I've adjusted the saddle, tried going into a lower tuning, I'm really not sure what else I could be missing. I would greatly appreciate a hand on this please.

Tremolo?
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Apologies, yes. Floyd Rose tremolo bridge.

Comment

Are you lowering the Floyd by the two pivot posts? If you can't lower them any more, then you'd need to tighten your truss rod a little.
        And what exactly do you mean by adjusting the saddles? The saddles move back and forth to set the intonation.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Post pics. That will help us diagnose any issues and what to adjust for them. Both the bridge and the neck, from the side.

Comment

You may need to be educated in regards to a floyd setup if this your first go around with one. Plenty of info out there.
            Here's a good one~ http://www.guitarrepairbench.com/ele...olo_setup.html

Paying a good tech well versed in, while doing it in front of you, is also money well spent, less heartache, Less frustration of.
            >^v^<

Comment

Getting that Floyd setup properly will be first priority.
              If the Floyd is setup properly and the truss is adjusted to have a flat neck, it may be that your locking nut isn't sitting low enough. I've played a number of guitars with locking nuts that could've benefitted hugely from the nut shelf being lowered, or some metal being removed from the nut.

Here's mine with a .53mm pick holding snuggly under the first fret. If you want a low action you're gonna' need a very small gap between the strings and first fret. Maybe not as low as mine, but low.

[IMG][/IMG]
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

It is my first Floyd, I'll take a look at this guide, thank you to all who replied.

Comment

Working...
                X