Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truss rod trouble! Where to get USA Jackson Bass Truss Rod Nut from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss rod trouble! Where to get USA Jackson Bass Truss Rod Nut from?

Hello experts!

I need your help. I came accross a '86 USA made Jackson P/J Bass (San Dimas plate #3838) the other day. I tried to give it a set up and gently tighten the truss rod to get the neck a little straighter and realized that while doing so there's a little crack (about an inch long) on the back of the neck right at the neck/headstock transition opening up when tightening the nut.
    So the neck seems to be made a little too thin at that spot so that the "upper" truss rod "anchor" (don't know thw right word for it) has worked its way through the neck wood when tightened hard. So I'll have to adress to that problem first of course. One way to go could be to carefully twist that neck so that the crack will open a little bit and then inject some glue. Any suggestions? What glue?
    Additionally the original brass truss rod nut was totally ruined. Evidently somebody had been messing with it before. So I would like to fit a new nut in the end. But what size would I have to look for?
    The hex part seems to have measured 1/4" and the inner diameter is something around 5mm (measured with my calipers). I suspect the thread to be actually something non metric. What thread is it?
    The only truss rod nuts with a 1/4" hex I found where made from steel and actually meant for Rickenbackers. They come in two different threads. Which would be right? Any ideas?
    I guess all of the USA J/C pointies used the same truss rod nut back in the day, so it should actally be a rather common nut, but where can I buy an original one?

Cheers from Hamburg!

I found out that truss rod nuts from Rickenbacker guitars fit. They come as 1/4" hex nuts in pairs in two different threads (8-32 and 10-32) for older and newer Rickenbackers. The ones with the larger inner diameters (can't recall which one is the larger, but for most of you guys being used to inches it should be obvious) fit the old J/C US-pointies. But the Rickenbacker nuts are made of steel instead out of brass. So one has to be even more careful tightening the nut making sure not to wreck the thread on the rod itself.

Comment

Working...
    X