Collar vs. Screw-In Floyd Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collar vs. Screw-In Floyd Arms

Just curious- given the recent (last 5 years?) availability of old-school style screw in type Floyd arms, what's the advantages to those vs. the collar-screw type? What's your preference and why?

None!

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
      None!
      In that case, thanks for nothing.

Now, anyone who does use either one care to share?

Comment

Collar... never have to worry about stripping the threads. (Yes, I've done it before)
        Although one not on your list is push in (Ibanez Edge trems) I love those once you the retainer spring dialed in.
        -Rick

Comment

I prefer the collar style. I do them up reasonably tight so the arm doesn't swing, and I can put the arm where I need it to be and it stays there, whether out of the way when doing rythm parts or back close when playing lead. Always disliked the screw in type because I couldn't get them to do that.

I've never tried the Ibanez push in style ones. I have a Gotoh Floyd with the same system, but have never installed it on a guitar to try it.
          A Charvel CX592, Jackson JS20 and a Jackson DK2, amongst others....

Comment

If you use the collar, you never have to worry about the bar falling out in the middle of a song because you left it spin one too many times in the wrong direction and ran out of threads to hold it in.

I hate the Ibanez push-in types. It is almost like the groove isn't big enough and they are never actually secured in place. But I do like the Jt-6. That is how a snap in should be made with that big mushroom tip.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
              I hate the Ibanez push-in types. It is almost like the groove isn't big enough and they are never actually secured in place. But I do like the Jt-6. That is how a snap in should be made with that big mushroom tip.
              Not sure what year Ibanez trems you're talking about, but the late 80's Edge trems used the same push in style that the JT-6 used. The bars are interchangeable.
              Mine has never fallen out on my 87 RG560. Spins freely, but clicks in nicely.
              -Rick

Comment

Started off with a push-in (Edge tremolo on a 1990 Ibanez RG560) which was fine, but I prefer a collar (OFR-style). I like the adjustable tension provided by the collar. Sometimes I want the arm to swing freely, but most times I want it to stay put.

Comment

Have both, just how they came, not by choice.
                  Wouldn't swap one for the other, both work just fine.
                  Collar method seems a bit more refined but isn't a must have for me.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                    Not sure what year Ibanez trems you're talking about, but the late 80's Edge trems used the same push in style that the JT-6 used. The bars are interchangeable.
                    Mine has never fallen out on my 87 RG560. Spins freely, but clicks in nicely.
                    I've had screw in Ibanez. I've had collar Ibanez. I did have at least one push in Ibanez but that was a long time ago and don't remember my experience.

The more modern ones, like the Edge III, do not have that tip. Some of them are just smooth bars and some have a paper thin groove.

Comment

Screw in. I hate the collar... warbles better... at least with the Gotoh and the tension adjustment never moves unless you want it to. doesn't loosen.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

The screw-in ones are killer when they hold their tension. Some of them will loosen slightly over time, which is a pain to re-tighten. I tried to stabilize one with loctite, and it didn't seem to help much. But when you get a good one, they will out-warble the collared ones any day of the week.

Comment

Having played just about every fulcrum type locking (and a few non locking) trem unit other than the Steinberger Trans Trem and the Wonderbar, I gotta say the collar seems to work best. Most efficient and practical vs. the screw-in version for sure. I've owned numerous mid- late 80's screw-in OFR's and to my best recollection, I cannot say they fluttered better than the collar versions I now have on all my axes. I'd love to put that to an actual test. I can definitely state they did not offer the same ease and exacting control of swing tension. Was thrilled when collar versions came out, after an initial period of readjustment to the new tech. LOL

The various Gotoh I've played also had bars that did NOT stay in place despite numerous adjustments to the tension screw. The bar was a bit smaller in diameter and felt anemic and cheesy compared to the OFR and it's other contemporaries. The Ibby Edge trem I played for years on my Ibby RG 550 was a workhorse and allowed for some badass whammying but the plastic bushing had to be replaced every several months or so depending on usage. Fuck, that was a pain in the ass! I was thrilled to see Ibby featuring the collar style arm mechanism on their latest Jem offerings.

Thus far, I haven't heard any compelling, objective advantages of the screw-in arms. Is it safe to say it's a preference for vintage gear? Maybe a nostalgia for and comfort with the system you grew up with? Doesn't seem likely it's because of greater performance or design.
                          Last edited by vector; 11-14-2016, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I have like 4 or 5 guitars with Gotohs... all of the bars stay put.

Personal preference. Not wrong liking different things.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post

Personal preference. Not wrong liking different things.
                              Agreed. Just was curious why the recent demand for screw in type arms?

Comment

Working...
                              X