bolt on neck alignment question!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bolt on neck alignment question!!

I picked up a late 80's Series 1 Peavey Vandenberg. Its in excellent condition but has an issue I can't figure out.
    The guitar has a bolt on neck with micro-tilt. The neck pocket is nice and tight. Its a perfect fit for the neck... BUT..... the strings are not aligned with the neck. All the strings are shifted to the bass side and its so bad that the low E string is almost at the edge of the fretboard. The locking nut is original, hasn't been modified and it appears to be perfectly placed. I tried loosening up the neck and pulling it over to the bass side to get the strings to line up better but as soon as I tighten it back up it pops back into its original position. I tried shims on the side too but I still can't get it to line up and it looks terrible with the spaces and gaps in the side and heel. The guitar has the Kahler 2700 series trem on it which has side to side adjustment for string spacing I believe but the saddles all look like they are spaced evenly and centered on the bridge.
    Is there anything I am missing? What could have caused this?

This is the video that alleviated my fears in adjusting the neck rotation in the pocket. It's very simple, and a necessary skill for those of us who disassemble their bolt-on guitars and need to ensure proper parallel string alignment when reattaching the neck to the body and then restringing. You need to apply pressure in the desired direction while simultaneously tightening the neck screws. You can do it alone (as demonstrated in the video) but I imagine it's even easier with someone assisting you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXya9Z-2H4o (click this link if the video below doesn't work)

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
      This is the video that alleviated my fears in adjusting the neck rotation in the pocket...
      Good posting is good. Thanks for the link NotP!

Comment

I had a similar problem with an Ibanez USA RG custom. Trouble was, the last three frets are on an extension that overhangs the heel. This extension fits neatly into a machined recess on the face of the body, so preventing any rotation adjustment....
        Gorgeous guitar, but it had to go. That top E falling off the side of the board was driving me nuts!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          This is the video that alleviated my fears in adjusting the neck rotation in the pocket. It's very simple, and a necessary skill for those of us who disassemble their bolt-on guitars and need to ensure proper parallel string alignment when reattaching the neck to the body and then restringing. You need to apply pressure in the desired direction while simultaneously tightening the neck screws. You can do it alone (as demonstrated in the video) but I imagine it's even easier with someone assisting you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXya9Z-2H4o (click this link if the video below doesn't work)

Been there.. done that... hundreds of times on hundreds of guitars. Doesn't work on this guitar. Neck pops back into mis-alignment. Its as if the neck pocket was routed incorrectly at the factory because when I line up the neck correctly it looks aweful. Gap in the front and gap on the bass side.
          It almost seems like the neck pocket needs shims glued into it and then rerouted and the 4 holes for the neck bolts need to be plugged and redrilled. That just doesn't make sense on this guitar. I am missing something here I am thinking it might have something to do with the Kahler 2700 series trem and the side to side saddle adjustments.
          Thanks for the response and the video though!

Comment

Ah, sorry to hear it didn't work. Some guitars might just be lemons that way.

Comment

OK, so I found out the problem. Its the saddles on the Kahler 2710 Killer. They are adjustable side to side. I loosened up all 6 allen screws underneath and was able to push all 6 saddles to the treble side and the strings are now lined up perfectly BUT HOUSTON... WE HAVE ANOTHER PROBLEM!!!
              These 6 screws also are for setting the intonation of each string. When I loosened them up not only did they allow me to move the saddles side to side but they also all shifted forward because they slide fore and aft for setting the intonation. For the life of me I can't figure out how I could possible set the intonation. If I tune the strings to pitch its too hard to push the saddle backwards and then from underneath I have to reach a small allen screw recessed into the bottom of the bridge.
              So... has anybody here ever set the intonation on a Kahler 2710 Killer? If so... let me know how to do it!

Comment

Working...
              X