Neck Screw length for Charvel 475-yes i did a search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Screw length for Charvel 475-yes i did a search

Putting together the old 475 and i do not have the neck screws. This guitar has a "scallop" or cutout where the neck plate goes and is recessed from the rest of the body. I did a search and found someone said number ten wood screws but do they come in different lengths? The same post mentioned that their guitar had shorter and longer screws. I did measure and it appears that the screws closer to the neck may be a tad bit shorter than those nearer the bridge as was mentioned in the searched thread.
    If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. fretsonthenet did not have these. Thanks. I really dont feel like putting a screw through the fretboard!
    Last edited by stratvox; 10-05-2016, 02:47 PM.

On the 475, the heel is angled, so the front screws are shorter than the rear ones.
    I don't recall the exact specs, but the long ones are about 1/4" longer than the short ones.
    I want to say the short ones are 1 1/2" and the long are 1 3/4".

They are thicker than the screws that are used today, so check the hole size on the heel.
    I believe the holes are 3/16".

s-l225.jpg

You can take the body with you to a hardware store and test fit some screws. It should be tight, as in almost requiring you to thread them in.
    They will need to extend approx. 1/2" into the neck.

If you want to know how far the screws should protrude into the heel cavity, thread one into the neck and then mark the depth with some blue tape on the screw.
    That length plus the thickness of the body at the heel with the neck plate is how long the screws should be.
    Last edited by rjohnstone; 10-05-2016, 03:05 PM.
    -Rick

Comment

I have some of the original oversized screws and the right lengths I'll give you if your in the USA

Originally posted by stratvox View Post
      Putting together the old 475 and i do not have the neck screws. This guitar has a "scallop" or cutout where the neck plate goes and is recessed from the rest of the body. I did a search and found someone said number ten wood screws but do they come in different lengths? The same post mentioned that their guitar had shorter and longer screws. I did measure and it appears that the screws closer to the neck may be a tad bit shorter than those nearer the bridge as was mentioned in the searched thread.
      If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. fretsonthenet did not have these. Thanks. I really dont feel like putting a screw through the fretboard!

Comment

Thank you for your help. Apparently the two screws closest to the headstock are the shorter version and the the rear two slightly longer. a 5/532/ drill bit fits in the neck hole loosely which leads me to believe they are closer to the 3/16th width above.Im in the USA and will PM you Thanks you.

Comment

Thank your Plon. For some reason I cannot send a pm from a computer but it worked with my iPad. Pm sent
          Last edited by stratvox; 10-05-2016, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X