Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Musikraft neck to best replicate Charvel Model Series and Charvel Pro-Mod necks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musikraft neck to best replicate Charvel Model Series and Charvel Pro-Mod necks?

The Musikraft necks page (https://musikraft.com/product-list.php?pg1-cid45.html) has options for a 1pc Charvel-style neck (https://musikraft.com/product-info.php?pid436.html) and 2pc Charvel-style neck (https://musikraft.com/product-info.php?pid437.html).

To me, choosing one or the other doesn't matter...

But there is a drop-down menu for "Back Profile" with 30 choices. Some of them (the V-shaped, boat-shaped, chunky, and asymmetrical profiles) can be safely ignored, but how would you pick any of the remaining ones to try to replicate the backshape of a Model Series neck or a Pro-Mod neck?

One of the drop-down menu choices says "Choose a back profile - See Learn More for additional info". Yeah, that "Learn More" link is broken, which is why I'm now asking.

I am completely aware Model necks and Pro-Mod necks feel different. I own two of each, with the Model necks being very slim. And I realize the Musikraft neck will have a Strathead instead of a pointy head. I'm just trying to find the best match for the backshape, not necessarily other details.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT - Found an alternate "Learn More" page: https://musikraft.com/cmspage.php?page_id=18 Perhaps one of the D-shaped ones will be close to the Model Series, and one of the Pro-Mod ones will be close to the Pro-Mods?
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 09-22-2016, 02:43 PM.

Model series necks have always felt fuller to me than my USA promod necks
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I have used these guys in the past. you can usually score a pretty cool deal for what you want off their ebay store. The tend to sell the custom stuff for huge discount there.

http://stores.ebay.com/Jamerson-Guit...p2047675.l2563

Comment

there are multiple neck profiles on the model series guitars. 3dr and predator being the thinnest. 5 and 6 models are the thickest(but they are also different depending on year) out of the 50 I own. I only have 6 pro mod guitars and there profile seems to be the same on all 6. the evh charvel necks are different again.

Comment

Heh, I guess everything is subjective.

Thanks for the link to the eBay store. Unfortunately they doesn't stock anything close to shredder specs (particularly regarding huge frets and compound radius).
          Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 09-24-2016, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I ordered one of their necks for my Jackson PC1-mutt. I did choose the thinnest profile they offer and it still feels very fat compared to my other guitars (SL1,DK1 and so on) other than that the quality and playability is fine

Comment

I'll post the specs of the one I bought back in 2007. Still have the Model 2 guitar body that neck is on, and it's my favorite. It's feels real close to a Model 2 neck to me. Maybe just a tad fatter, but not much. Definitely not a thin shredder neck like you would get on a DK2 or like my USA Fusion had. Let me know if you can't see the picture as I have that album set on privacy now. I like this guitar so much that I ended up selling all my other guitars and kept this one and a blue Model 2.

Last edited by Razor; 10-01-2016, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Razor, that is very useful. Thank you for sharing!

You chose a heel width of 2-1/4 and it fits your Model 2 body. Interesting! Based on some evidence (quoted below), I was under the impression Model bodies needed 2-3/16 necks.

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                I think I just answered my own question.

This Jackson RR3 neck (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2006-Jackson-...8AAOSwOyJX4u~Y) is listed with a heel width of 2.224" (almost 2 1/4 inch).

This Charvel Model 2 neck (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-80s-C...wAAOSwgmJXyuLG) is listed with a heel width of 2.1875" (2 3/16 inch) which is standard Fender width.

For simplicity and problem-free installation, I will probably stick to Charvel Model 1/2/3/4 necks, given their "instant compatibility" with my Model 1. As an added bonus, they seem to be more affordable than the alternatives I was considering, such as Charvel Pro-Mod necks and aftermarket necks from Musikraft.

Comment

I wanted to resurrect this thread as I'm thinking of doing something similar. Thinking about getting one of their Charvel necks in 24.75" to pair with a fusion HH body. Difference is I'd love to replicate the neck on my fusion standard. Since this thread was posted they now have a Pro Mod D 81 81 profile. I wonder if it similar in feel to the old Jackson professional or Model series necks but thicker as I'm guessing 81 81 means 0.810" thickness. My fusion is 0.752" @ 1st and 0.787"@12th. Anybody tried one of these since this thread was originally posted? Also will the do custom thicknesses?

Comment

I have one of the pro mod C 79 85 necks and it's a really nice profile, but thicker than my j/c's. it's a tiny bit thicker than my 87 usa neck, and significantly thicker than my 88 neck and my usa production model neck.

from the musikraft specs (I think the "91" is a misprint on this image; should be 81 I think) it looks like the 81 81 has some pretty pronounced shoulders, perhaps even more than the D 75 81.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                      I have one of the pro mod C 79 85 necks and it's a really nice profile, but thicker than my j/c's. it's a tiny bit thicker than my 87 usa neck, and significantly thicker than my 88 neck and my usa production model neck.

from the musikraft specs (I think the "91" is a misprint on this image; should be 81 I think) it looks like the 81 81 has some pretty pronounced shoulders, perhaps even more than the D 75 81.
                      I didn't notice those shoulders before. I don't think I would like those but I don't know what the shoulders are like on my favorite necks. I've actually been thinking about getting one of these
                      Locking Contour Gauge - StewMac. Then I could maybe know exactly what I'm looking for before I move forward.

Comment

Well never mind. I noticed on their learn more page they mention Gibson 24.75" scale conversion necks but no mention of a true 24.75" scale bolt on. So I Emailed them about it. Turns out the 24.75" scale option is a conversion neck and won't work with a true 24.75"scale body so it won't work with my Fusion. Oh well scratch that idea.

Comment

Working...
                        X