No announcement yet.

Hoppes 9 Gun Oil on rosewood fretboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoppes 9 Gun Oil on rosewood fretboard?

Is this product ok to use on my rosewood boards? A few guys in my area swear by it and I happen to have some on hand. Anyone on here use this? If so how, what would you recommend for application?

According to the msds report, nada.
    clean the board with naptha, then use a lil lemon oil to cheer it up.
    >^v^<

Comment

I have used it on the rosewood board and the maple neck. I love the slick oil feel on the neck once it soaks in but the smell is not very pleasant. I now though don't use any thing but water on my rosewood fret boards, well not a lot of water just a damp rag and wipe it clean. oils of most any type seem to just make gunk stick to it.

Comment

It's very simple. For fretboards this:

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

I use this on all my LP's SG's, M6's, Ebony USA's....

Whatever you use, DON'T GO ON TOO HEAVY. I use a Q-tip and use just enough to coat each "square" of the fretboard, then wipe off. I try to NOT let it get under the frets.

I might use the gun oil on a raw maple neck, like a USA DK-1. I think Tru-Oil might be a good choice. I don't have many raw necks so I don't claim to be the expert on the back of the neck.
        Last edited by DonP; 09-19-2016, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Rosewood is a closed grain oily wood. A light coating of just about anything will work. Bacon grease, wd40, motor oil, gun oil...

Lately I've been using food grade cutting board mineral oil from ikea. Mostly because that's what I have most readily available. It was easier to find than my lemon oil. lol
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I've always just used bore oil for horns.
            My Toys:
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
            '94 Dinky HX in Black
            '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
              Lately I've been using food grade cutting board mineral oil from ikea.
              I've been using the same stuff for a number of years now. My experience is that it works great!
              https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

The humidity in my music room stays between 50-60%. I use nothing to moisturize.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Working...
                X