Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed Locking Tuners

Hey all.
    Just wanted to throw my recent experience in here for those that are looking for a drop in replacement for their locking tuners. There's not a lot of info out there on what's going to be a direct drop in so wanted to see if I could help others out. I purchased the Schaller mini locking M6 tuners from Warmoth. http://www.warmoth.com/Schaller-Mini...ners-C726.aspx I went with the Warmoth versions since they're all the same height. The locking tuner pegs sit lower than standard, that is normal since you don't have to wind the string as much. This is the same on my ESP guitars.

I wanted to install these on 2 SL2HT's and a SLATQH. For the SL2HT's these were a direct drop in. Nothing needed to get them installed except an 11mm socket (deep well) and a small phillips screwdriver. Remove, install, add string, tune, done. This was on both a standard and reverse headstock.

For the SLATQH, it was a little more work. The SLAT had a strange tuner hole bored where there was a small lip inside. Like they bored one hole then did a halfway larger for the standard tuner. I had to use a dremel to open that up a little. It never reached the front face since it was all inside the hole and no damage done. But if taking a dremel to the inside of your tuning peg hole is freaky, might not want to. If you're careful, no damage can be done. Attached are some pics of both front and behind of the SLAT for reference.

http://www.ghostlandmedia.com/temp/SLAT_Front.jpg
    http://www.ghostlandmedia.com/temp/SLAT_Back.jpg

Overall I highly recommend this as a really simple upgrade that looks awesome.
    Heath

So the set screw on the back of the Schallers exactly matches the positioning for the original Gotohs?

Comment

Originally posted by Carcaridon View Post
      The locking tuner pegs sit lower than standard, that is normal since you don't have to wind the string as much.
      You actually don't need any wind around a locking tuner post. You pull the string tight through the hole, then you lock the mechanism. When you tune up to pitch, you will never have a complete wind around the post.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

the reverse head stock and standard took the same tuners? or did you buy lefts and rights? they are different on the pointy charvels.

Comment

Shreddermon - The set screw on the back exactly matches the stock Jackson tuners. No drilling/filling needed.

toejam - True, but I like a little wind on mine for aesthetics.

paranoid - Standard headstocks use "Left Side", and reverse headstocks use "Right side." This denotes the side of the headstock they're on if you're looking at the front of it. So all together I bought 3 different types for 3 guitars (gold left side for SLAT, black left side for standard SL2HT, and black right side for reverse SL2HT.)
          Heath

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            You actually don't need any wind around a locking tuner post. You pull the string tight through the hole, then you lock the mechanism. When you tune up to pitch, you will never have a complete wind around the post.
            I'm not a locking tuner guy (never owned a set actually), but wouldn't you want a few windings there in case you snap the string right at the bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              I'm not a locking tuner guy (never owned a set actually), but wouldn't you want a few windings there in case you snap the string right at the bridge?
              for none locking nut guitars locking tuners and no wraps = better tuning stability. for locking nut guitars locking tuners are just extra money spent IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Carcaridon View Post

paranoid - Standard headstocks use "Left Side", and reverse headstocks use "Right side." This denotes the side of the headstock they're on if you're looking at the front of it. So all together I bought 3 different types for 3 guitars (gold left side for SLAT, black left side for standard SL2HT, and black right side for reverse SL2HT.)
                Ok thanks, that is what I thought but was not sure from reading your op. I have never owned a Jackson, But I thought the pointy necks where the same as Charvel.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
                  for none locking nut guitars locking tuners and no wraps = better tuning stability. for locking nut guitars locking tuners are just extra money spent IMO.
                  I see. Sounds like the same bad trade-off as the SpeedLoader.

Comment

I see. Sounds like the same bad trade-off as the SpeedLoader.
                    Not really, if your string snaps it's probably best to change it. If I go long enough on a set and one breaks I change them all.

Comment

I guess you could, especially with a Floyd nut. It does make for ultra quick string changes.
                      Though, most people use locking tuners without a locking nut so it helps with tuning stability by having less string movement behind the nut when using a trem.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yup, faster string changes, but you'll also want a small set of pliers to pull the string pretty tight before locking the post. But also with a Floyd you have that whole issue of pull-back when a string goes, and unless you have a non-floating or a stopper for it, when you tighten up you'll come away with extra around the post.

Just make sure your trem-lock thingy is set to hold it at the right angle - if you need to detune to get it set and there's not enough rotation in the post, you're starting over.

As well, they're a handy backup for when the nut locks start to wear out.

If the locking tuners have enough mass, you'll improve sustain as well. The "big clunky" Sperzels are great because they're about twice the weight of a standard tuner.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
                          For a clamp style bridge (Floyd) you can simply string the guitar backwards for free "locked tuners". Also no sharp ends to poke curious hands, if you have little ones at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarkid8 View Post
                            For a clamp style bridge (Floyd) you can simply string the guitar backwards for free "locked tuners". Also no sharp ends to poke curious hands, if you have little ones at home.
                            I have been doing exactly this since the late 80's,but some purists think it is not politically correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarkid8 View Post
                              One of the reasons I went with locking tuners cause my son likes to run his hand over the headstock. He's only 1 so doesn't know any better and would hate to see him get "bit" by a string.
                              Heath

Comment

Working...
                              X