Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist SL3 replacement...

Hi all,

I searched but wasn't having much luck finding the answer to this particular question... It may be there, but I didn't see it so please excuse if this has been covered:

I have the LFR out of my SL3 and it looks to be a jt-580 takeuchi, as identified by the Takeuchi stamp on the block. What, if any, Floyd Rose product will replace this bridge without any further mods? (I'm replacing the Tak because it's been severly abused by the previous owner(s) and is rusted and corroded and just needs to go).

I'm looking to swap in a actual Floyd Rose bridge but just need to verify which FR model is a direct fit?

Thanks,

Weatherby
    Some of my Guitars:
    1) Late '80s Charvel HS neon nuclear yellow. H is a Seymour Duncan, the neck is stock. H/S
    2) 1990-1991 Les Paul Custom flame sunburst with ebony fretboard. Gibson stock pickups. H/H
    3) 1991-1992 G&L Legacy. Red. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard. G&L stock pickups. S/S/S
    4) 2003 Jackson Soloist SL3 was trans red. WIP refinish.
    5) 2006 Jackson Dinky DXMG. Gray, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. OE EMG H/H

I'm seeing pics on Google and it looks like the 580 can be replaced by an OFR. I know the 580LP can, due to the route being long enough to support the longer string lock bolts, but a Schaller with the short barrels (JT590 style) definitely will.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc is correct. An OFR will replace a JT-580LP with no mods. In fact you can use the 580's trem posts if you don't feel like pulling them.
      As for a non low profile version, you'd have to measure the route before buying. Some fit fine and some need a little "help".
      -Rick

Comment

OFR is a direct replacement. See: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/Trem...ct.htm#jt580lp

The below pic is from rjohnstone which reinforces what he says above.

Comment

The 580 route is longer than the LP. Should accept an OFR just fine. Post spacing is the same between the 580 and LP. See my thread for the route differences.
          Last edited by Guitarkid8; 09-08-2016, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarkid8 View Post
            The 580 route is longer than the LP. Should accept an OFR just fine. Post spacing is the same between the 580 and LP. See my thread for the route differences.
            Depends on which 580 you're talking about... the original ones (1994) had long lock bolts, so the route worked for an OFR.
            Some of the newer non-LP 580s have smaller bolts and the route is not as large.
            An OFR will fit in any 580LP route.
            -Rick

Comment

Do you have a picture of a small 580? My 98xxx DXMG route is longer than the LP route.

Comment

I'll have to dig some pics up, but Google has a few out there.
                The JT-580 with the squared off base plate has a smaller route than the 580 with the angled base plate.
                -Rick

Comment

Check the pics on the link I provided in post #4 above.

Comment

Here's a photo of the bridge in the SL3 in question... This is a jt-580 takeuchi and not a JT-580LP, correct?

Also, what you can't see from this photo, (as the guitar was de-tuned like two full steps at the time), is that the mounting posts pull straight out of the body with little pressure. Also there is a fair amount of rust on parts of the trem, all the screws holding the pickups in, the blades of the neck and middle pickups, the poles of the bridge pickup, and the threads of the mounting screws of the bridge. This was seriously abused in its former home.

Some of my Guitars:
                    1) Late '80s Charvel HS neon nuclear yellow. H is a Seymour Duncan, the neck is stock. H/S
                    2) 1990-1991 Les Paul Custom flame sunburst with ebony fretboard. Gibson stock pickups. H/H
                    3) 1991-1992 G&L Legacy. Red. Maple neck, rosewood fretboard. G&L stock pickups. S/S/S
                    4) 2003 Jackson Soloist SL3 was trans red. WIP refinish.
                    5) 2006 Jackson Dinky DXMG. Gray, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. OE EMG H/H

Comment

That's a JT580LP, the common trem for an import of this era. Replacing it with a Floyd should be direct and easy, though it will leave cosmetic gaps, as illustrated in post #4 above.

Comment

Originally posted by Weatherby View Post
                        Hi all,

I searched but wasn't having much luck finding the answer to this particular question... It may be there, but I didn't see it so please excuse if this has been covered:

I have the LFR out of my SL3 and it looks to be a jt-580 takeuchi, as identified by the Takeuchi stamp on the block. What, if any, Floyd Rose product will replace this bridge without any further mods? (I'm replacing the Tak because it's been severly abused by the previous owner(s) and is rusted and corroded and just needs to go).

I'm looking to swap in a actual Floyd Rose bridge but just need to verify which FR model is a direct fit?

Thanks,

Weatherby
                        What year and how much did you pay for this guitar?

Comment

Thats a 2005 or earlier model. The 2006 and later models came with a Real Floy Rose in the FRT-1000 model. This will be a direct replacement for that Jackson Licensed Bridge you got there. I know all about it as I had one and didn't like it. The 2006 model is much nicer

Comment

Yep, LP model. Need to get those bushings dowelled and re drilled or you will continue to have issues.

Comment

I've replaced the chrome JT580LP bridge on my SL3 twice. Both times using FR Specials (Gold, then black). I think they are the same dimensions as an actual OFR?
                              The one thing is - the back plate won't go on any more as the block is longer than the JT580.
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X