Blocking for dive only experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking for dive only experiment

I have a good sized chunk of mahogany that I sliced a couple small blocks off to block pulling up on the Floyd on my 750. I love the feel of the bar with 2 heavy duty springs but want to do some double stop unison bends and maybe get more tone/sustain with another point of contact for the bridge. Well things don't always work out as planned...

First block was too thin, second one was just about perfect so I threw it in. Guitar was noticeably louder while not plugged in.

Problem 1) Found out the springs were catching it if I dove all the way down.
    Problem B) I didn't like the clunk when it got back to position.
    Problem iii) Unison bends were still out of tune because there wasn't enough pull to keep the bridge bottomed out.

Solutions: Trimmed block slightly. Deal with the clunk? Add 3rd spring.

So now it's sort of where I want it, block is staying in place and no contact with the springs but I can't get the clunk out of my head and I'm not happy with the spring tension. Glad it's not permanent.

Final verdict... gonna clean, condition, restring and set it up for 10s (has 9s now) like I'd planned originally and leave the block out.
    Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Maybe take a little more off the block, superglue rubber/foam to it to dampen the clunk. Do whatever bend and tighten the claw until it doesn't pull down anymore.

Always wanted to do it myself, never have.

Comment

I could probably live with the clunk by adjusting my technique on getting out of a dive and knowing where the bottom out point is. I may give it another go at some point. Told my wife I needed to find a hard tail 750 now (or an SLA-160-hh)

Comment

I did this to one of my guitars as an experiment a year or two ago.
        Now I'm kicking myself for not having tried it when I was 20.

I have since blocked all my floyded guitars. I decided that I can live with the clunk for all the other benefits it gives me. Granted, I also can't do warbles any more, but OTOH I never did them while actually playing songs anyway.

Comment

Cleaned and conditioned the fretboard, slapped on 10s, put the 3rd spring back in, and set up to float. I have fixed bridge guitars, they're just not this one...

Comment

Working...
          X