Double Locking Nut Height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Locking Nut Height?

As you might know, I recently picked up a second Dinky. I have noticed that this one has a higher nut than my original one. I measured on the 1st fret, with a 42 E string.

.30mm and .50mm

Which got me thinking, what is the proper measurement? A general range? Or if there is an actual standard way to measure it, I couldn't find it so I just measured @ 1st.

The action at 12 on both is around 1.7-2mm. Pinch harmonics, natural harmonics, and vibrato are all easier on the guitar with the higher nut. Both have the same brand 9-42's, E standard, and I cannot tell one necks relief from the other. Both relatively straight, minor relief.

As low as you can get it with out fret buzz. if you pick hard you will need it higher then one that plays easy.

Comment

Check the guitar with the higher nut to see if there might possibly be a shim underneath the locking nut. See illustration below, although sometimes it's not obvious and you might need to remove the nut itself (easy to do).

If you enjoy the way the higher nut plays, and if the intonation is still fine after having the nut higher, you can always shim the nut of your other guitar to suit your playing preferences.

I'm with paranoid though. I try and get everything as low as possible.

Comment

Thanks guys. I searched pretty hard and there isn't really much out there, just general rules of thumb (as with everything about a setup). What I found was 1/64 for the 1st string and 2/64 for the 6th. Measuring at 1st was also standard.

For reference, 1/64" is .397mm while 2/64" is .794mm.

I shimmed the lower nut up to .50mm and it feels much better. Not sure if I should keep going all the way up to 2/64" or not.

Comment

Working...
        X