APC pickups. Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APC pickups. Anyone?

noticed this very cool CS Dinky on ebay with an almost kinda coral sea finish.... Had APC pickups spec'd on it.
    Curious. Anyone have tried them? results?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JACKSON-USA-...UAAOSw9NdXvzUB

http://www.apcpickups.com/index.php?p=home
    >^v^<

A little digging, APC owned by ducoil inc. John Lace prod. mngr. (Lace pickups). mmmmm.
    >^v^<

Comment

If I remember correctly, there was someone around here that swore by them.
      I was interested in trying them out, but never got around to ordering.
      Never heard anything other than good things about them.

Comment

Yeah, these were talked about more than 12 years ago here, and a bunch of people loved them. Here's a thread by John (Dreamland Rebel) who swears by them.
        http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/173...ADDER)-pickups
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I remember when APC = Adder Plus Corporation, founded and handwound by Mel Lace.

Original group order thread: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/265...p-order-thread

More discussion topics: https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=....jcfonline.com

Thanks to a translation Sunbane did (http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/703...ll=1#post95604), here was their product availability back then:

INTER-PHASE PICKUPS give you brilliance and clarity. Some models have high or very high output signal with preserved treble, which so far has been impossible for passive pickups. You can adjust INTER-PHASE PICKUPS very close to the strings without having the magnetic fields affect the vibrations of the strings (no "string pull"). You simply get better sustain. When doing powerful string bending, you never run the risk of ending up outside the receptive area of a magnetic pole, since the magnetic fields are spread out over the entire length of the pickup. INTER-PHASE PICKUPS are quiet and hum free and some models (Humphree) are even very quiet and very hum free. These pickups are offered with a range of different tones, from the traditional single coil sound, to the most sought-after humbucking sound of the 50's.

IMPORTANT: Some bridges have very wide string spacing. Make sure you have at least 7mm between your 1st string (E1) and the edge of your pickups for a balanced tone reception with APC Single Coil Pickups.

HUMPHREE - Single Coils

Models

100 - Virtually insensitive to electric and magnetic interference. When you demand a totally clear, balanced "true single coil tone without the noise". Recommended position: Neck/middle

200 - Has the quietness and clarity of the 100, but is calibrated to give a little stronger output with emphasis on the mid-range register. Recommended position: Neck/middle

300 - "Hot, full range HUMPHREE" gives you maximum attack and sustain, while it brings out the harmonic overtones and a high output signal. Recommended position: middle/bridge

400 - "Mr. Punchy". Extremely high output signal and low hum level makes this pickup the choice of the pro's. Perfect for both clean and distortion. Recommended position: bridge

DUAL COIL HUMBUCKERS

All pickups are built with 4 shielded leads for split coil, phase control and series/parallell operation. Specify white or black covers when ordering.

Models

Persuader SC - Humbucking in single coil format. Powerful, "punchy" and rich with overtones. Recommended position: bridge

Persuader Lead - Powerful "over the edge" signal. Designed specifically for the lead guitarist. Recommended position: bridge

Persuader Lead Custom - Full highs, strong middle and full lows. Similar to Persuader Lead, but with stronger lows. Recommended position: bridge

Felony X - "This is it, we did it!" The sought-after 50's humbucking sound is here. Thick and clear for everything from blues to metal. Recommended position: neck

Malice - Especially designed for those who want a "phatter" humbucking sound. Classically tight response with strong mids and a loud output signal. Recommended position: neck

Syrinx - Like Malice, but with a finely balanced magnetic structure, resulting in a "medium output pickup" with prominent highs, thick bass and a "soft hang". (Note: Don't ask me what they mean with "soft hang". Sounds perverted. ) Recommended position: neck
          From the original order thread, I've had the two 200 single coils and Persuader Lead humbucker in my Shannon Soloist since the mid-2000s. At the same time, I had also ordered a Persuader Lead Custom humbucker, intending to compare it to the normal Persuader Lead. I never got around to it, and the PLC is still sitting in its original packaging inside my Soloist case, never installed! Those four pickups cost me USD$310 (after a USD$30 discount was applied, presumably because of the bulk order).

I like them. They're clear, articulate, and noise-free.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/149...t=shannon+pics

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 08-25-2016, 04:48 PM.

Comment

^ thanks for the info, links to. Interesting....

nothing on youtube..... (that I could find)
            Last edited by murkat; 08-25-2016, 05:30 PM.
            >^v^<

Comment

I just noticed the eBay ad says the APC pickups are active, which is incorrect. They're passive. Just because a pickup has a black plastic cover on it doesn't mean it's active like an EMG. I think the battery is powering some kind of onboard electronics, given the interesting control layout with extra toggle and extra knob.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                I just noticed the eBay ad says the APC pickups are active, which is incorrect. They're passive. Just because a pickup has a black plastic cover on it doesn't mean it's active like an EMG. I think the battery is powering some kind of onboard electronics, given the interesting control layout with extra toggle and extra knob.
                I think you are correct on that.
                Priest, what would you compare the APC with, what pickups did you have prior? Give me something, because there is not much out there except for the Paisly tele neck pickup.
                >^v^<

Comment

Isn't this the dinky that had a tremolo misaligned? Maybe it got fixed?

Comment

In that guitar, I previously had Duncan Hot Rails and DiMarzio Super 3, seen in the photo below. (A previous owner replaced the stock Duncan SSL5s and Duncan Pearly Gates which I never got to hear.)

It's been a long time since I've had the Hot Rails and Super 3 so my memory of those pickups is very fuzzy.

I too am surprised there is very little out there. I can only find two Youtube videos (searching "APC pickups" and "Adder Plus pickups") and neither of them are in a rock/metal setting, which are what I suppose our demographic of hot rod guitar owners wants to hear. Maybe I should do some.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                      Maybe I should do some.
                      Yes please.
                      If APC do what they claim, I'm in to try them out. But, I have nothing to gauge them with (lack of information of).
                      I'm just an old school 70's / 80's rocker. Plenty of Guits, Amps, pedals.
                      If there is something that bridges the gap between passive and pre amp'd pickups (and APC's are kind of leaning that way with lil info of)
                      I would be all in to try some out.
                      >^v^<

Comment

Isolated guitars only: https://soundcloud.com/notp1/ratt-ro...nd-guitar-only

Full mix video:

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 01-07-2017, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Just got a reply email from Les. His Father, Mel, as you all know him, just past on. So, they are dealing with that atm.
                          I'll get back to them next week.
                          >^v^<

Comment

I wonder if that was an automated reply. Because I was aware Mel Lace passed away years ago: http://smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=189344

Comment

Then, I guess, they have been dealing with it for some time...
                              "Hi J,
                              Thanks for your interest. We have been going thru some serious health problems and my father passed away recently. To top it off I'm waiting on a part from a supplier that should get here late today or Monday. Needless to say we are a little behind. Depending on what and how many you order right now it looks like a couple of weeks. Once we get caught up then we will be shipping in a few days.
                              Thanks,
                              Les"
                              >^v^<

Comment

Working...
                              X