Dimarzio Super Distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio Super Distortion

I have a Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod project that I have been working on, taking a seasick green Pro Mod and changing out the hardware to chrome and using cream pickups. I went with a Dimarzio Super Distortion for the bridge but it is too fizzy (or too much hair) with my EVH 5150 III amp. I like to keep my amp's setting pretty neutral since I tend to change out guitars during shows.
    Been playing with the pole piece adjustments but it is not working very well so far. Can anything be done to tame the fizz? Is there another Dimarzio that is similar to the SD without the fizz?
    No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Try a Tone Zone or Super 3.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      Try a Tone Zone or Super 3.
      Ha, the TZ was my gut feeling but wanted to try something different. Since the project was all about an 80's looking guitar, I thought the SD would be good fit. I came close to ordering the TZ but saw the EQ chart was similar to the SD but I guess there are other variables that played out as a factor (ceramic magnet). Will look into the Super 3. Thanks!

Comment

The SD is great, but it can be a little too bright or fizzy in certain guitars. I love the TZ with its lower mids and bass. The Super 3 has more mids and should be a little closer to the SD, just warmer and less fizz. I don't think you can go wrong with either. A Norton is also really nice.

Comment

Crap, you mentioned the Norton, that was another one that kept coming up on searches. Would not mind getting a couple of pickups to try for this guitar and use the other in one of my other Jacksons but being cream screws that.
          I have a So-Cal with the stock Tone Zone, need to play with it a bit to see I can get a slightly brighter sound out of it but the Super 3 does look interesting.
          Thanks again!

Comment

The TZ often sounds too bass heavy to my ears. Often sounds better in lighter bodied woods, like swamp ash or basswood. But even that doesn't always work for me. The Super 3 has stronger mids, so usually works better overall for my preferences.

Don't rule out medium output pickups, though. IMHO, there's nothing quite like a medium open-voiced pickup with good harmonics run through a high-gain amp. It lets the distortion "breathe", if that makes any sense. The Mo' Joe has been really working for me like that. I find myself leaning more and more towards that kind of tone, especially PUs with Alnico V magnets.

Comment

The Super3 has somewhat rolled off highs and tight bottom end, it's more a hammer than the chainsaw the Super Distortion is
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I find the Super Distortion works better in mahogany bodied guitars, gets a really nice thick sound. I don't care for the Tone Zone, too muddy. The Super 3 is kind of a slightly neutered Super Distortion. That one might work for you.

Comment

Thanks! Looking into the Super 3 but I wish I could find one with chrome/silver pole pieces, they all seem to be black.
                  Also considering the Norton.
                  I do like certain aspects of the Super Distortion but cannot tame the fizzy sound.

Comment

get better ears. treble sounds good in the mix.

I'm not a Tone Zone fan. Too tubby for me, but that might have just been a bad match for my guitar. Never had a Super 3 myself, but I've heard some good things. Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Dimarzio sells those hex bolts if you want to change them to chrome. Email or call them for parts.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                        get better ears. treble sounds good in the mix.
                        Unless you've got it as much as Venom
                        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Pulled the Tone Zone from my Charvel So-Cal and tried it in the San Dimas. It was pretty much what I am looking for. It was brighter in the SD but not too bright or buzzy. The low end is not muddy on my EVH 5153 or Mesa Roadster. The EVH does have predominate mids on the blue channel so I could probably use a pickup with slightly less mids.
                          Still looking at the Super 3 and a couple of others but if I cannot decide, at least I know I will be comfortable with the Tone Zone.

Comment

Cool. The TZ has always worked well for me. I had it in a Dinky HX (poplar),BC Rich Gunslinger (alder), and a Charvel Star (alder).

Comment

Working...
                            X