Jackson Stealth - EMG 85/s/s installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Stealth - EMG 85/s/s installation

I just got some new EMG pickups...85/s/s and I've hit a wall. The 5 way switch is to tall for the access cover to go back on correctly. Anyone have a fix? I'm thinking maybe a foam strip to act as a bushing between the guitar body and access cover, but man is that going to look bad. I thought of maybe cutting out a slit so it can stick out...passing through the cover, but I'm afraid that'll cause the wafer board of the switch to break. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA.

Can't you just use the original Jackson switch? Or buy one that fits properly? Most have mounting dimensions.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

+1 on use the factory switch. I love EMG pickups, but hat the plug and play hard ware that comes with them. I throw all that crap away and solder them in.

Comment

I had a stealth professional pro which I did a 81/s/s install and I ended up just using the original switch as these were special made and even say pat pending on them as they were designed to fit this exact guitar. nothing else will fit, I tried out 10 different switches before going with the original.

Comment

I could solder them in but honestly don't have any kind of know how. As to say...which wire's go to which pins on the switch. I'm thinking of heating up the cover panel and bending it or deforming it to stick out a little. Also, none of the wire harnesses are long enough and I'm having to solder in 2" extensions. EMG doesn't sell longer harnesses. Anyone know where i can get some?

Comment

I recommend taking it to a tech if you cant figure out the wiring, bending the electronics cover to make it fit will #1 be a cheesy way to make it fit. #2 if the cover presses on the switch it will cause you trouble later. I have installed many emg sets and not had any trouble with wire length in a strat body, make sure they are not balled up in the pick up cavities.

Comment

Wires aren't in to congest the cavity yet. The stealth has a thin body and the new 5 way solderless switch is taller than the hardwire version. I know bending the cover would look bad but it wouldn't be viewable unless I play it like Jimi over my head.

Comment

Has anyone hardwired the 5 way switch to the solderless pickups?

Comment

How do you think we did it before the solderless crap appeared...?
                  All EMG:s were soldered for like 30 years or something, and I still do
                  it from time to time depending on the guitar and/or pup config.
                  Just cut the quick connect and solder it as per the old "non quick connect"
                  wiring schematics for EMG:s.
                  They are easily found online, usually in PDF format.
                  Last edited by 1337storm; 07-18-2016, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Dude, I'm 41 and have been playing since I was younger than 10 and I've had emg's before. I know how it was done in the past. What I'm asking is for a wiring diagram for my config.

Comment

Try this:

"Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                      Gotta get away from here.
                      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                      X