Completed - Raven redesigned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completed - Raven redesigned

There are a few of the original versions of the Raven that will be wrapped up over the next few months, but here's what the redesign looks like. I'm really excited about it; I think that the new version really lends itself to different color combinations and such. The Raven in the photo is more of a workhorse approach; you can still get pretty tops and binding and all that good stuff.

Granted, some may wanna kill it with fire, but some people feel that way about the original version. It's all good.

Sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

That looks really cool! Great new take on an old, great design.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

very smart. just needs velvet lapels and a bowtie neck pickup
      Hail yesterday

Comment

I think I am obliged to say I like the old design better.
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Really nice work Sully. It's very difficult to come up with new ideas these days - and that look good! The new cuts allow for added binding ideas which may help transition different wood types.

New tweaks like this will make your designs standout. Zakk Wylde might want to hire you as a consultant to replace his design atrocities!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
            I think I am obliged to say I like the old design better.
            Well, if you'd prefer the new version, I can make that happen for you.

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
            Really nice work Sully. It's very difficult to come up with new ideas these days - and that look good! The new cuts allow for added binding ideas which may help transition different wood types.

New tweaks like this will make your designs standout. Zakk Wylde might want to hire you as a consultant to replace his design atrocities!!!!
            Thanks man! I like the new raised portion, too. What you can't tell from the photos is that there isn't a hard 90 degree edge from the top to the lower portion of the body. It'll make my paint guys like me better. I was unsure how I'd feel about it that way (because it takes the option of binding that center away), but once I made a couple, I like it better.

Zakk is on his own, though!
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You peaked my interest
              An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
              A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

Originally posted by holycross1 View Post
                You peaked my interest
                Let's get one made for ya!
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hmm. Very interesting. I like it. Why the redesign
                  H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

Makin' it his own I assume. I dig the body shape, but the raised portion gets too small at the back for my taste. But it took the 71 some time to grow on me, so I'm not writing this one off yet.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by mr426 View Post
                      Hmm. Very interesting. I like it. Why the redesign
                      Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                      Makin' it his own I assume..
                      Nailed it! There are a couple of other reasons, too. Like it or not, Gibson could get up my ass over that shape if/when they want, even though the previous version didn't really have any common lines with a Firebird. This version is even more different than its predecessor. Sure, they could still send me love letters, but I prefer to have more distance between the two shapes. While the previous iteration is based on Jackson's shape, the upper fret access blows. That has been something that's bothered me about this model since I started building them, and I think I finally have that issue resolved without it looking wonky.

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                      I dig the body shape, but the raised portion gets too small at the back for my taste. But it took the 71 some time to grow on me, so I'm not writing this one off yet.
                      I hear ya; I had about six different "swoop" patterns before I settled on this one. When they're wider at the bottom, the overall "swoop" is a bit bulkier, and kinda got in the way of control layouts.

Sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

One thing is for certain. Sully's design's look like he has worked on these for a long time. I've never wanted a firebird guitar. I certainly wouldn't have turned one down, just not the shape I really yearned for. I do like this one, it's unique yet traditional, unlike some things that come out that just look like a mashup of other guitars.
                        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Thanks, man!
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Love it Sully!
                            Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X