Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying replacement pickups

Hello all,
    I don't get it. How the hell do you purchase replacement pickups from semour duncan? The guitar is a Jackson Reverse Head stock Dinky Granite finish with Floyd with direct mount pickups. When I received the new pickups they where designed for Top mounting. They look shorter then the stock pickups( Jackson) and they don't come with Direct mounting screws. They come with machine screws for Pickup ring mounting.
    I went to the Seymour Duncan website and didn't see options to select Direct mount or Pickup ring mount.

What do I do here?

Shim the pickup to the height you want and put some wood screws through it to mount it.

Comment

seymour duncan has pickup frames that are taller just for flat mounting. call them and ask what they are called so you get it done right.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
        Shim the pickup to the height you want and put some wood screws through it to mount it.
        Shimming a pickup doesn't give you the ability to adjust it's height. Your suggesting a fixed height which doesn't work in many cases. Using springs like any other pickup mounting is what should be provided in the box. Also wood screws for direct mounting should also be included. According to the box everything you need to install them is included. Yeah thats true if your using the pickup rings.
        Thanks for the suggestion anymore man.

Comment

Originally posted by AAEA View Post
          seymour duncan has pickup frames that are taller just for flat mounting. call them and ask what they are called so you get it done right.
          That pisses me off as when you use their pickup finder, that is not an option. I will call them and thanks man.

Comment

The factory body mounted pick up Charvels I own are screwed hard to the body, with no adjustment. as far as I know the Wolf gangs my son has are the same way.

Comment

Put some foam under it (like what comes in certain pickup boxes) and use longer screws to be able to raise/lower the pickup.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                Put some foam under it (like what comes in certain pickup boxes) and use longer screws to be able to raise/lower the pickup.
                This man is a wizard.

Comment

Black Sabbath wrote a song about me.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ibanez puts foam under their direct mount pickups and that works ok on the 4-5 I've got.
                    Jackson puts surgical tubing under the direct mount single coils, works ok on my 3 Soloists, don't see
                    any reason why it couldnt work on HB:s as well.

Comment

It's stupid. When you buy pickups, they don't say if they are direct mount or Pickup mount. They come with Pick guard mounting not Direct mounting hardware. The box says it comes with everything you need to install and they don't.
                      Putting foam underneath a pickup and any other thing to me defeats the term direct mount. I find Direct mounting stupid. How the hell are you supposed to tweak your pickup height ? Very stupid if you ask me. My whole life had Pickup rings or a pick guard. I never had any issues trying to mount new pickups. This is just stupid as hell.

Comment

so use pick up rings.

Comment

Yeah, you need to have 'something' under the pickup or the legs for it to push against so it doesn't bobble around in there. Either foam under the pickup itself, or springs / tubing around the mounting screws.

Some people drill out the screw holes in the pickup leg so they can use wood screws to mount the pickup to the body. Rather than do that and effectively 'damage' the pickup (or at least make it a bit of an effort to use the pickup for anything other than direct mounting), the 'trick' that I use is to use a metalworking file to 'round' off the threads nearest to the head of the screw. That way the screw can turn easily in the pickup leg while still going into and out of the wood of the body to adjust the height (otherwise you run out of turns on the screw).
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

The more I learn about direct mounting pickups the more I want to just go back to Pickup rings. They make more sense in the fact that they mount and have the ability to be freely adjusted to exactly the desired height. You can offset the pickup from side to side as needed as well.
                            Why there isn't a mounting system from all pickup manufactures would be very nice.

Comment

This thread was a revelation for me. I've never owned a guitar that had direct-mounted humbuckers, so I always just imagined "direct mounting" was simply installing a humbucker without a pickup ring, similar to the way single coils are mounted and are still height-adjustable. So now I've learned you can't easily adjust humbucker height if it's directly mounted... jeez...

Comment

Working...
                              X