Jackson RR3/Charvel Pro Mod mutt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson RR3/Charvel Pro Mod mutt

I was thinking of building a mutt using a Jackson RR3 (MIJ) body and a Charvel Pro Mod (MIM) neck. Scale is same on both and both have 22 frets. Would there be problems with neck pocket or intonation, what do you think?
    My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

I bought a RR3 body and a new unbranded 22 fret strat neck from ebay. Putting them together was pretty easy and FRT-1000 trem intonated nicely. Actually the most difficult thing was to find right place for upper strap button: when it was on it´s original location guitar was very neck heavy. I moved it to neck plate and problem was solved. And because this is kind of replica I had to modify neck joint a little bit. This guitar is at least partially a Jackson because it has RR3 body and J-50B -humbucker...

Anyway, here it is, my strathead RR:

Comment

That's interesting, and glad it intonates without issues! What did you do to modify the neck joint? And what did you do to cut away the body near the upper frets?

Comment

That looks pretty neat!
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          What did you do to modify the neck joint? And what did you do to cut away the body near the upper frets?
          I replaced the standard neck plate with an asymmetric one and rounded off the corner:

This made upper fret access easier, but it was not the main reason to do this modification.

I used a small hacksaw to cut the body. On the original Kai Hansen guitar (as seen on Helloween´s I Want Out video) those cut areas were left unfinished but I thought that it looked too rough..

Comment

After cutting, you just painted over the unfinished area? That looks very well done! Nice and smooth and seamless!

Comment

Very nice! Reminds me of Kai Hansen's V in the 'I Want Out' video...

Comment

Working...
              X