Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT6 trem: What's wrong ?

Hello,
    I'd like to grab an old Jackson Strat from 86/87, full stock.

Most of the one I've seen have a JT6 trem, an I was told that's crap, something that people absolutely do not want.

I can understand that's it's not as good than a real FRO, but is it that terrible ? (I can't put my hands on it and test it before buying one, as these guitars are quite rare over here )

thanks
    Jackson SLAT-QH CSB
    Charvel SD Warren DeMartini Crossed Swords
    Jackson SL-2H LS

It wouldn't hold me back. Those trems work great most of the time after being set up properly. Worst case, you can swap it out with an OFR. The stringlocks cause more issues than the trems do. Besides, it's not like you have a massive selection of used Jackson Strats over there to choose from. Post pics!

Comment

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the JT6 aside from the cheap pot metal it is made of and the string lock. As long as the screws/bolts hasn't been over tightened it should work just fine. As mentioned it is a direct swap for OFR if needed.

Comment

Some people prefer Ibanez or Fender over a Jackson. The same applies to your trems.
        My favorite guitar has a JT6 (the Frankenstein graphic that I have as my logo). I don't know if it would make a difference or not if it had a different trem, I can only go by the unit as a whole. But for 30 years, it has been the guitar I pull out when I want to cause a scene.

I have no problem with a JT6.

Comment

Thanks for the feedbacks. Got it

I found an ads for this 1988 model according to the seller:

I was asking for some guidance because this JT6 story puzzled me. So I may give it a go
          Last edited by MadPeter; 04-03-2016, 09:36 AM.
          Jackson SLAT-QH CSB
          Jackson SL-2H LS

Comment

There is something about a color matched headstock. lol

Grab that thing!

Comment

That one doesn't have the JT6 string lock so half of the concerns are gone right away.

Comment

Very cool, looks vaguely familiar maybe? Original arm and hang tag, nice to see. That looks like a Kahler locknut? Those suck just as much as their stringlocks, but at least you'll have a shelf to work with (which will likely sit too high for an OFR locknut and have to be milled down).

Once debugged, the JT6 will hold the tuning as well as an OFR. But, that original arm will be clunky as hell, and you rarely get much flutter out of them. So it's not all subjective.

Comment

Originally posted by Catharpin View Post
                  There is nothing fundamentally wrong with the JT6 aside from the cheap pot metal it is made of and the string lock. As long as the screws/bolts hasn't been over tightened it should work just fine. As mentioned it is a direct swap for OFR if needed.
                  String spacing is actually slightly different, considering the JT6 has standard string spacing and an OFR is F-spacing.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

^^^ also a good point. The narrower spacing tends to work a bit better on most Jackson necks. I've never seen a JT6 guitar with fret margin issues unless the neck was cocked badly to one side or the other. That is mostly a Floyd thing. I had one guitar that was downright unplayable after the OFR conversion due to this. This is one major reason I don't swap them out, not to mention the fact that the trem routes sometimes have to be modified in order not to rub on the OFRs.

Comment

thanks for all the tips. The matching headstock is a good sign that it's not a mutt.

In the US what would be an acceptable price ? In EU it might be different for sure...
                      The seller ask for 900€ which is bit high IMHO, as I can grab a stock 1987 white Soloist for 1200€ (and it even does not sell at that price) in very good condition.
                      Jackson SLAT-QH CSB
                      Jackson SL-2H LS

Comment

My calculator says that 900 Euro is 1025 USD.
                        I have no problem with that.
                        Personally, I wouldn't want it (here in the Colonies) at that price because my interests are with the reverse headstocks. But, others wouldn't have a problem with it. Especially when you take your location into consideration. Buy 'em both.

As to the Soloist...
                        I prefer the Strat body more than the Soloist/Dinky body. So, to me, a Soloist that costs more than this Strat makes the Strat more attractive.

Comment

After a few mod's I prefer the JT-6. mostly because the new kids don't know what it is. New string block allen screw's, A large brass block, A knife edge sharpening, and 2 new springs and it will flutter with the best of them.

Comment

JT 6's work just fine and I have never worn one out.
                            They are std spacing and that is the later Kahler nut which is a great unit.
                            Nice guitar and good score.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Nice looking guitar. The only problem with my JT-6 was the original arm broke after 26yrs. Replaced with a Schaller style arm and added a big brass block.
                              Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

Working...
                              X