Kelly info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly info

Hello, I recently bought an old kelly and I need help on ID-ing it. It says Jackson Professional on the headstock with a truss-rod cover that says "Kelly STD" its ser # J002152. bolt-on neck with out plate. any idea when it was made and where...Im pretty sure its not USA made. Also... it had a charvel humb in the bridge pos....completely covered( no poles showing) I was told it was active... I opened up the guitar and I could not find a 9v.. It has very low pathetic output compared to the neck Humb. pickup which is marked Jackson.(most likely stock)any ideas what could be wrong?

-Thanks in advance

Re: Kelly info

any Jackson with "Professional" on the headstock is made in Japan. The Charvel-logoed pickup sounds like a replacement. Some folks seem to think that any pickup with a black plastic cover is active, none of the Jackson pickups were active, but were often coupled to an active preamp. This means that unlike an active pickup, you can still get an output from them when the battery dies, or even without the preamp.

I can't recall just when the Kelly STDs were built - possibly 92-94?? Anyone? Beuller?
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Yes I think the STD, DLX, and such were done in 92/93-94/96. These came after the "good" Professionals that were identical to the USA lines, and some state the "STD/DLX/LTD" were better than the current crop of Pro models.

Remove the cover of the pickup and it'll probably sound better, but then if it was made to be used with the active boost circuit, it won't sound as good without that circuit.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

thanks... Did the older professionals have sharkfin inlays?

Also I plan to just replace that pick-up with a blade pick-up like a dimarzio x2n or seymour sh-13 dime. have yall had exp with these?...Ive read many reviews that seem to vary...i can't find any that have been used on a similar guitar to a kelly tho.

-thanks

[ December 18, 2002, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: Bloodstone ]

Comment

The XL has fins.
          Performer series (PS6) do not.

R
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I opened up the electronics box and noticed something... There are 5 wires coming from the bridge pickup...one is soldered to the switch(red) another which is not insulated is soldered to the 500k pot along with many other black wires that look to be ground wires. There is a black and a white wire soldered togather. And there is a blue wire which is not soldered to anything and is buried under the larger main insulating wrap. Is this set-up normal?
            I know this seems hellishly confusing...

edit...im gonna post this in the tech forum..makes more sense there..

[ December 27, 2002, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Bloodstone ]

Comment

Working...
            X