Changing the Bridge FTW :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the Bridge FTW :(

I decided to change the OFR for a Schaller Lockmeister in gold on my SL1 and look what happened.
    I tought this shit can be switched without any modifications but screw this crap now I know better.

Not only that the new trem doesn't stay in tune when divebombing, it chipped off some paint, too. Seems like it gets in contact with the paint and
    doesnt return to it's normal position because of that. Seems like I gotta remove some paint or change it back to the OFR :/
    Last edited by v4rg; 03-27-2016, 12:42 PM.

About a month or so ago I posted the same issue with the 1984 Floyd Rose install on a Rhoads Performer , it did not fit the cavity and the string lock screws extended out over the body.

I then took that 1984 and installed it in a Dean Razorback V 255, fit like a glove, the Floyd Rose Special I took out of the Razorback V 255 fit the Rhoads. They're not all routed the same.
    \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

to this day I thought that those Schaller Trems and the (Schaller-made?) OFRs can be switched vice versa without any modifications. I have some free days atm so I will get my tools and grind away some paint to make it fit :/

Comment

I feel your pain. This is a bit of an enigma: Schaller states in their website: The dimensions of our Tremolo LockMeister are exactly the same as the dimensions of both the Floyd Rose Tremolo and our Schaller Tremolo. You can easily replace your Floyd Rose Tremolo or your Schaller Tremolo with our new LockMeister Tremolo.

Even within that statement there are some discrepancies as the Floyd Rose and Schaller trem have been reported to have slightly differing dimensions as well. I finally took some calipers to both; a LockMeister has a base length of 37.28mm and a Schaller had a base of 39.25mm. The distance from knife edge to rear of base plate was also different- 31.18mm for the LM and 34.5 for the Schaller. Interestingly, the OFR did have identical measurements to the LM.

Comment

I did take away some paint and a little bit of wood:

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4...a5lkrf_jpg.htm

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4...nfj3qa_jpg.htm

at least it is barely noticeable when the trem is reinstalled

Comment

Black Sharpie marker.

Seriously, I did essentially the same thing to my custom Hamer and you'd be hard-pressed to find it, especially from more than 2 feet away.

Comment

Few days ago I replaced my RRXMG´s FR Special with Schaller Lockmeister without any problems:

(Some may wonder why button head saddle bolts: they allow higher pull ups without strings touching them.)
              -
              I compared an OFR, FRT1000, FR Special and Schaller Lockmeister using a vernier caliper. It seems that OFR base plate is about 1mm narrower than others. If guitar´s OFR routing is very tight then you might have a problem when replacing it with Lockmeister. Otherwise those trems (and their parts) should be interchangeable.

It is clear that Lockmeister base plate does not come from same production line as OFR, but its quality is the same.
              My Jacksons: RR1 x2, RR Pro, Soloist Pro, RRXMG x2, SDX, JS32RR

Comment

I bought a used SL1 last week and installed another Lockmeister-trem in that guitar. This time it fits perfectly and everything works fine. The serials are closed together, so it seems that there are little differences in the building and work processes.

Comment

Working...
                X