Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single coil pickups who is really using them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single coil pickups who is really using them?

I'm gonna assume since this is a Charvel/ Jackson Forum that most if not all of you are some type of Metal players.
    Ok so who really likes Single coil pickups? I for one can't stand them. Even more so now that I have the ne w SIX PACK OF SOUND that Charvel thought was a good idea in the new 2016 models.
    Back when I purchased my 2013 San Dimas Hard Tail Pro mod, it came with a classic Stack in the neck position. I used it for about a week before I had to rip that smack out of my guitar. I purchased a Lil59 and what a warm wonderful pickup it is. It's amazingly quite and full of warm clear tone. Why would anyone not want that and want that thin crappy lifeless nails on a chalk board tone when your a Metal guy? To me it makes no sense never.
    I'll be honest I tried to find a place of that kind of tone in my playing , writing and cover songs. Even songs that are recorded in single coils like Bryan Adams " Run to you" I find sounds much better when using the Mini or full size hum bucker.

Yes I play Power ballads and even write them and still find no place for a single coils pickup.

If a hum bucker was a solution to an issue years ago with single coil pickups, why would any Metal guy want to have that thin tone? I'm just trying to wrap my head about it. I know other styles of music the single coil makes sense and I get that but for metal? Even classic Rock stuff just sound so much more full and punchy with Humbuckers. If I purchased a Strat ever again, the first thing I would do would be to replace all the single coils with Mini style hum buckers or Hot rails of some sort depending on my goals of that guitar.

Talk to me Fellow Metal heads and explain to me why any of you use them if there is any.

O and further more what about pots? I find my new 2016 Charvel to be incredibly unbalanced with the Middle position being single coils, I'm wondering if it's the pots being wrong for 2 different kinds of pickups. I'm wondering if a guitar has Humbuckers it's better they both are hum buckers instead of Hum single setups. Do you lose something either way?
    Last edited by mantis; 03-26-2016, 06:35 AM.

My favorite pickup configuration is humbucker in the bridge and single in the neck position. I rarely use the single coil, but for clean sounds I prefer singles over humbuckers. I just don't like clean tones from a humbucker as much. When I was in a band, I always used my soloists with a single coil when we played songs that had a clean section.

Comment

I have the EMG SA singles (David Gilmour) in my Pro, for cleans they're buttery smooth.

sigpic
      Action Jackson

Comment

I have single coil guitars but rarely use them. Occasional I'll get the urge to play Jimi, Purple, Rainbow, or similar stuff.

I have one Strat that does metal, it is a MIM with the (everyone calls) crappy MIM ceramic pickup in the bridge. With my amps it nails old Lynch better than my Screamin Demon of Duncan Distortion loaded guitars.

Comment

Singles beat hums for cleans, period.

Comment

+1. SCs sound best for clean tones. That's why I prefer H-S layouts.

But why diss variety? It's not like I don't occasionally like a neck hum, too. Choices are good, man. I mean, just because I have no desire to buy a guitar with P90s doesn't mean I can't appreciate their tones. It's all cool.

Comment

What about Pots?

Comment

If I am playing "metal", I am probably not going to leave the bridge pickup, so there is no reason to even worry about the single coil.
                But for other music styles, I have actually grown to like single coils more then humbuckers in the neck (and middle).

Comment

use 'em every gig. I switch between a Strat & a Jackson, depending on the song. I can get by with the coil split on the Jackson if I need to. But for some songs, the Strat is just better.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                    Singles beat hums for cleans, period.
                    and 2 singles beat a single single for cleans
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I like pickups that hum twice, not just once.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                        and 2 singles beat a single single for cleans
                        ORLY? Don't go there with me, I'll switch on all three!

Comment

Oh snap...

Comment

^^^ OK that's cool!

Comment

Maybe someday I'll be able to appreciate a single coil pickup, but not now... lol

Comment

Working...
                              X