Tremolo Pivot Stud Sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tremolo Pivot Stud Sizes?

Who makes a Floyd Rose/Schaller tremolo stud that is 8mm (or at least bigger diameter than a standard Floyd)?
    I am working on a 1988 Jackson strat and have an issue with the tremolo returning to pitch. The knife edges on the Schaller look good so I would like to order a set of studs to give that a try. This whole guitar seems to be a comedy of errors so the whole stud and Schaller maybe a mismatch. I would really like to avoid pulling the bushings.

Edit: The existing studs are probably from a JT-6. Measuring in inches the studs are 1.52" long and the threaded portion is .308 diameter. There seems to be 26 threads per inch.
    Last edited by Big Al; 03-21-2016, 12:42 PM.
    No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

If the existing studs were JT-6 you would probably be better of just changing the studs with the bushings. I do not know of any one that just sells posts new. I also have never bought any new stud kits that seemed to fit the JT bushings. seems like those were way coarser in thread pitch then any others I have seen.

Comment

Have you considered that it might be the nut? I had a problem with my Kelly returning to pitch one time... Tried darn-near everything with the bridge, no luck. Changed the nut and BINGO! Problem solved...

Comment

Originally posted by Metal Spawn View Post
        Have you considered that it might be the nut? I had a problem with my Kelly returning to pitch one time... Tried darn-near everything with the bridge, no luck. Changed the nut and BINGO! Problem solved...
        Since I have had an issue replacing the nut, it was the first thing I checked. Using the tuners, I check to confirm the strings were not slipping under the nut blocks. Also there does not seem to be any movement of the nut but that could be hard to see. I have shims under the nut so I am not completely ruling that out. Weird thing is I can do a dive bomb on the tremolo or just a heavy single string bend and all of the strings go out of tune. Hit the tail of the tremolo and all strings are back in tune.

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
        If the existing studs were JT-6 you would probably be better of just changing the studs with the bushings. I do not know of any one that just sells posts new. I also have never bought any new stud kits that seemed to fit the JT bushings. seems like those were way coarser in thread pitch then any others I have seen.
        Saving replacing the bushings as a last resort. Had one hell of a time pulling them on a guitar in the past.

Comment

Dave at fretsonthenet.com makes new JT6 studs if that's what's on yours.. I have them on my Model 6 and they're great quality.
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Dave doesn't make them anymore.
            He discontinued them a while ago.
            -Rick

Comment

Checking Ebay and found two possible sources for studs. One is Carrguitar with "old school Schaller Studs", asked about the thread diameter and he said they are close to 5/16" and fine threads. The second claims that his studs fit the JT6 bushings but states that his is 5/16x24 threads. Would have thought the JT6 bushing threads would have been metric. Will confirm my threads today.

The guitar probably did have JT6....I have an unaccounted JT6 in my parts stash! I installed the JT6 and still had the same problem though I did notice that hitting the tremolo sharp did not bring it back to correct tuning, close but not perfect. I have also tried a different set of springs and checked to make sure the spring claw is not moving/binding. The post do not look like they are moving but if I put a finger on top of the stud and lower the bar, I feel "something" on the stud. Could be the slight movement from the loose fit of the mating threads. Checked another guitar's studs for movement (no strings) and they do fit pretty loose.

Comment

Well that sucks...
                Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                Dave doesn't make them anymore.
                He discontinued them a while ago.
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Slipping saddle screws can wreak havoc, but you swapped the trem so that probably isn't it. I've seen necks slip around in their pockets due to loose neck screws or metal shims in there. Just something to try before the drastic stud repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                    Slipping saddle screws can wreak havoc, but you swapped the trem so that probably isn't it. I've seen necks slip around in their pockets due to loose neck screws or metal shims in there. Just something to try before the drastic stud repair.
                    I have tried those but I really appreciate the suggestions. I keep press the tremolo bar hoping I will see or hear something I have overlooked. Took the studs to my local Lowes to check the thread size. Guess I miscounted the threads per inch. Ends up they are M8 X 1.0 or 5/16-24. The 5/16 seems to be a tighter fit. The guy on ebay advertises his JT6 replacement studs as 5/16-24 threads so I ordered a set to try. If these do not work, I will replace the stud and bushing since I have not completely ruled out that the pivot bushings could be mving.
                    Thought I had found the problem last night. The tremolo arm bushing seemed to be very close on the body route with the Schaller so I removed the arm and bushing. Still had the same problem.

Comment

here are some studs with inserts for sale. also, Ibanez uses 8mm studs.

http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/par...ds-and-inserts

Comment

Follow Up:
                        Got the JT-6 replacement studs off Ebay and they did not work with my bushings. I checked the threads on the existing studs by using female threads to confirm. I did determine that the stud could be M8-0.1 or 5/16-24. Thought I was good with the replacement studs but they would only thread 1/3 of the length of the new stud. Guess after that, the threads/length gets amplified enough to cause binding. I used the supplied hex wrench to see if I could force the stud a little more...that broke the grip between the body and the bushing. These studs may not work for me but they were a big help in pulling out the bushings.
                        Should have taken the advice from Paranoid...replace the bushings and studs.

Comment

Well crap...got the Floyd studs/bushings in today and the holes in the body for the Floyd bushings are too large. The new studs will not thread into the old bushings.
                          Is my only option to fill the holes and re-drill? Guess I am hoping that someone makes a large diameter (0.51" outside diameter) bushing.

Edit: after searching the forum I see that I am pretty stuck.
                          Last edited by Big Al; 04-01-2016, 05:20 PM.

Comment

go get a rod and then redrill. sometimes the obvious is often the easiest.

Comment

Working...
                            X