Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously contemplating drilling into my fusions

I've owned 2 fusions (a Jackson and Charvel) for over 10 years now

But no matter how hard I try, I can't prevent getting in a fight with the volume knob placement

Simplest solution? Drill a hole between the current location of the volume and tone and just put it there, and plug the old hole with a cap

But I would like to know if there may be a less invasive solution, both guitars are sunbursts, so it's not like I can plug the hole and making it invisible with a little bit of touchup paint

The only thing I can think of is a pot that sports a smaller knob (like we see on the top of concentric controls in guitars), but I'll be damned if I can find any candidates suitable for the job
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

To do what you're suggesting, the knob would have to be smaller in diameter as well as height, and that'd end up looking funky too.

Rather than drill an extra hole, can't you just put the volume where the tone is?
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

It's not that I accidentally operate the pot, it's simply the fact that it's in the way of my picking hand
      especially when going for muted staccato runs on the higher strings

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I would just move it to the tone hole and cap the volume hole. I don't ever use the tone control anyway so sitting in the cavity wouldn't hurt at all.
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

How about putting a dual concentric pot where the tone pot is now?

That way you'd still have both volume and tone controls and you could put a plug in the hole for the current volume pot. Plus it's reversible.

Comment

I have had the same problem with volume knobs. My fixes so far:

1. Remove the knob or replace with a small diameter knob.
            2. Place the volume pot at the tone pot location and plug the hole or place a small SPDT switch at the location of the volume pot and wire it for a kill switch or bridge pickup bypassing the volume.
            3. Rubber washer under the volume knob to make it harder to turn (knob still is in the way).
            No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

I migrated over to non-recessed trems mostly due to this issue and never looked back. My right hand just sails over the top of the knob.

Comment

Well, in first instance I'd try to find a smaller knob, but so far haven't been able to

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                I migrated over to non-recessed trems mostly due to this issue and never looked back. My right hand just sails over the top of the knob.
                Hm,... Filling the trem cavity and adjusting the neck angle seems like overkill, a bit like buying a new car because your old one doesn't fit over the new rims

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                  Rather than drill an extra hole, can't you just put the volume where the tone is?
                  That's how I had it setup on my Fusion for some time, then I got a EMG set that had three knobs and my hand would smack the volume knob, after a while I got used to it being so close and don't even notice it now.
                  sigpic
                  Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                    Hm,... Filling the trem cavity and adjusting the neck angle seems like overkill, a bit like buying a new car because your old one doesn't fit over the new rims
                    Some of the knowledge I spew forth is immediately useful and practical, most of it...not so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X