What Locking Nut Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Locking Nut Size

I have a 1988 Jackson that has been disassembled for a couple of years and I recently had the neck re-fretted. Well I have misplaced the nut and need to order one. I measured the width of the nut shelf and it measures 1.580" which is between the R1 and R2. I am guessing that I would want to go slightly narrower with the R1 but that just seems weird. The neck has no binding but is a reverse headstock (if that matters). Just curious if I missing something on this?

I asked this question on the FB site but I have been getting suggestions for R3/R4 but I don't think I would want the nut overhanging the sides of the fretboard.
    No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

The Charvels of that era were R-4, but I guess Jackson must have been different if the shelf is only 1.580.

Comment

My experience is that Charvel and Jackson were using R3 during that time period. The difference is very subtle and in string spacing, not necessarily nut width.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

The R2's are common on BC Rich's but I've never seen one on a Jackson. I've never even heard of the R1. If I had to guess I'd go with factory R2 with a bit of sloppy overhang (also not that unusual).

Comment

I pulled the nut off a 1989 Dinky and it is a R3. Too much overhang with the R3 as suspected. Had a Kramer Nightswan which has a R1 and the strings are too close for me near the nut. Guess I will order a R2 and live with the small overhang.

Comment

Can you tell if the string height is correct with the R3 on there? The R2 requires a higher shelf as the string channels are deeper on it. If that nut shelf was really cut for an R2 the string height with the R3 would be way too high.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
              I pulled the nut off a 1989 Dinky and it is a R3. Too much overhang with the R3 as suspected. Had a Kramer Nightswan which has a R1 and the strings are too close for me near the nut. Guess I will order a R2 and live with the small overhang.
              You could always just file even the overhang, and paint black. If the spacing is correct.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Looking into the Gotoh nuts. Seems they have a 41.5mm wide nut. Pulled a Floyd R2 off a guitar and the overhang is not too bad but the string spacing puts the first and sixth string too close to the edge of the fretboard.
                Edit: the guitar has a Schaller so maybe the Schaller nuts are different?
                Last edited by Big Al; 03-08-2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Wow. I find the 1 5/8" R2 nuts a bit too tight as it is. I can't imagine trying to pull the strings in a bit tighter than that.

Comment

Looking at the R2 again and it does seem to work except the string height is too low. It could be 1mm taller. I am guessing someone had messed with the nut shelf. Fretted notes are good all over the neck but the open strings buzz or fret out on the first fret. Checking into nut shims but I would have to stack a few shims.
                    It is like I need the width and spacing of a R2 and the string height of between R2 and R3.
                    Last edited by Big Al; 03-09-2016, 07:21 PM.

Comment

So many questions. Man I'll bet you think twice before misplacing another part like that!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        So many questions. Man I'll bet you think twice before misplacing another part like that!
                        No doubt but when I got the guitar some frets were lifting and I believe there were homemade shims to adjust for the higher frets. It was a mess.
                        I believe I have found the nut but I am missing one of the locking blocks. They are shorter than normal so any replacements I have will not fit. I believe I used one of the blocks when cleaning up a San Dimas soloist for a friend. The suspected nut has no markings but measures out to be close to a R2. I went back and pulled the R3 off the 89 Dinky to check the string height and it is too tall (and too much overhang on the sides). Guess I am ordering the R2 with shims.

Comment

Still working on this project.
                          The R2 nut works fine expect it requires several shims to prevent the first string fret buzz at the first fret. The fretboard is really flat, seems the 10" nut radius comes into play. Any suggestions on a larger radius in the R2 width?

Side note:
                          The neck is not only narrow but very thin from front to back. It is like an Ibanez wizard profile with a narrow nut.

Comment

Sorry to beat a dead horse but...I have noticed that some 1988 models with the JT6 had a Kahler nut (not the locking clamp behind the nut). I now believe my guitar originally came with a JT6 and possibly the Kahler nut. If the Kahler nuts have shorter string grooves, this may explain why have to shim the hell out of the Floyd nut. Checked the Kahler site and found they have a 10" and 12" radius 1 5/8" nut but they do not give string groove heights. I have emailed them asking for dimensions but in the mean time, does anyone have a source for Kahler nut dimensions other than the width and radious?

Comment

Working...
                            X