Single EMG with SPDT Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single EMG with SPDT Switch

I have a Charvel Wildcard #8 which is a single EMG with a SPDT kill switch. I have changed pickups a couple of times but now I have an EMG 85 back in it. Any idea how I can wire it so the kill switch can serve as a to the volume pot/bypass the volume?
    I have a 1995 Charvel San Dimas III which has a switch which goes from normal to sending the bridge pickup straight to the output jack. I love this feature since I tend to hit the volume knob and reduce the volume. I looked at the SD III and it has a DPST switch so I am guessing I will need a DPDT on the WC #8 but I am hoping that something may work with existing switch.
    No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

You can wire up the SPDT so the jack is shorted out to either the pot wiper or the pickup output, which will give you the effect of "volume knob on ten" when the switch is thrown, but won't be the same as the pickup wired directly to the jack because the 25k load of the pot will still be in the circuit.

Comment

As well, I think that type of switch is built so that the contacts are either Hot or Not, meaning the Off capability is built-in, no matter how you wire it.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I don't guess I could go pickup to switch and one pole to jack and other pole to pot? That would have two wires going to the jack....that would not work would it?

Checked the continuity of the switch and it's like center is common and the other two poles are determined by the switch. I can get a DPDT switch but I really like the flat tapered lever on the existing switch. I am having a hard time finding one like the existing one.

Comment

You would wanna go common to jack, then pickup and pot lead 1 to one pole, and pot lead 2 (wiper) to the other pole. This will make it so in one position it's like normal volume control, then in the other position like volume on 10. This isn't the same as completely removing the pot from the circuit as it's still loading down the pickup (same as volume knob on 10), but it should give you the effect you want.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
            You can wire up the SPDT so the jack is shorted out to either the pot wiper or the pickup output, which will give you the effect of "volume knob on ten" when the switch is thrown, but won't be the same as the pickup wired directly to the jack because the 25k load of the pot will still be in the circuit.
            I appreciate the input but I am not sure I follow? Jack to the common on the switch I get. Are you saying take the lead that would normally come from the pot to the jack to be soldered to one position on the switch and add a wire on the pot tab, for the pickup, and running it to the other position on the switch?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
              I appreciate the input but I am not sure I follow? Jack to the common on the switch I get. Are you saying take the lead that would normally come from the pot to the jack to be soldered to one position on the switch and add a wire on the pot tab, for the pickup, and running it to the other position on the switch?
              Code:
              pickup . . . ────┬──────◯
                               │          SPDT
                              ┌┴┐    ──────────◯──── . . . jack  
                              │ │                    
                              │ │◁────◯
                              │ │ VOL
                              └┬┘
                               │
                             GND (0)

Comment

Thanks! Just finished soldering and it works except the switch is a bit fenicky in one position. Could be my soldering or got one of the contacts loose with the heat. Thank you for your help and patience.

Comment

Working...
                X