Cracks in fretboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracks in fretboard

Hi, I'm considering buying a Jackson bass but there are a few cracks in the fretboard. Is this something to be worried about? Can the cracks expand?

Those aren't too bad. I'll bet with a good oiling the board will expand a bit and close them up.

Comment

Agreed. Not bad at all.
      Plus, who uses the 24th fret on a bass.

Comment

Yeah, not bad.

I've used Fret Dr. for years - http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

If they weren't there from day one, it would most likely get rid of those checks.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I just ordered the bass I'll post pictures when I receive it.

Comment

My Soloist had similar cracks near the serial when I got it a few years back.

Oil it and keep it away from overly dry conditions and it'll be fine. Mine hasn't gotten worse.

I was told by my guitar tech those cracks can easily be filled with some ebony shavings and glue...or something to that effect.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
              I was told by my guitar tech those cracks can easily be filled with some ebony shavings and glue...or something to that effect.
              Yep. Very common issue. Ebony shavings + superglue.

Comment

I have repaired both USA basses and Soloists with way worse cracks in the ebony, several cracks from around the 12th all the way up to the 24th, it was years ago and they are still perfecty fine.

Comment

Here is a USA Fusion I had with some cracks. I had another dinky for years with similar cracks, never got any bigger or caused any problems.
                  METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Working...
                  X