Oil for Ebony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil for Ebony

Figured it's time to treat my ebony fb... Howards or Gerlitz?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

sigpic
    Action Jackson

Well, the Howard's says it contains petroleum distillate. You don't want that.

Mineral oil will be fine. I use Old English Lemon Oil, which is just scented mineral oil. Hell, you can even use Vaseline, which is what Jackson used to recommend in their owner's manual. And Jimmy D'Aquisto, the acoustic guitar maker, recommended using motor oil.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have used Music Nomad's F-One fretboard oil for past several years with great results. No waxes, petroleum or silicone. Good Stuff.

Comment

Do a search for Fret Doctor oil. I've had a small bottle for 10 years and am just now getting low. Great on ebony and also on maple Charvel necks (mines an 83, not sure if newer ones will take oil). The wood tells you how much of this stuff it needs. I put on a light coat and keep applying until it stops being absorbed. Love it.

Comment

I've used Gerlitz for many years...great stuff

Comment

Dunlop 01 fingerboard cleaner works for me.

Comment

I'd go with Lemon Oil or Howards.

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Well, the Howard's says it contains petroleum distillate. You don't want that.

Mineral oil will be fine. I use Old English Lemon Oil, which is just scented mineral oil. Hell, you can even use Vaseline, which is what Jackson used to recommend in their owner's manual. And Jimmy D'Aquisto, the acoustic guitar maker, recommended using motor oil.
              Mineral oil, motor oil and vasoline are all petroleum distillates, jfyi.
              Last edited by xenophobe; 02-13-2016, 09:22 AM.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post

Mineral oil, motor oil and vasoline are all petroleum distillates, jfyi.
                Oh, yeah. Definitely avoid silicons, though.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I use Music Nomad's F-One oil for maple boards and Fret Doctor oil for ebony.

Comment

I thought we aren't supposed to oil maple fret boards?

Comment

I'm with Charvelfan on this one.

Fret Dr. Is great stuff. I've used it for at least a decade on all my guitars with ebony or rosewood fretboards.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

Comment

I kinda having second thoughts about putting anything on my ebony board now... after thinking bout it a bit.

I mean it's always been cased since i've had it, never even sat out one night, plus it's always been in a decent humidity environment, Wisconsin.

I think it's probably just fine.
                        sigpic
                        Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
                          I kinda having second thoughts about putting anything on my ebony board now... after thinking bout it a bit.

I think it's probably just fine.
                          If you look at it and it's dry, I'd definitely oil it lightly. Lemon oil or mineral oil for cutting board should be sufficient.

Comment

Nimitz, I don't have any experience with the products you mentioned, but I have been using the Fret Dr. for years on my Custom Jacksons and other guitars with rosewood boards. It works fantastic! You only need a few drops, you don't want to slather it on the board and saturate the wood. Don't be afraid to give your wood a little love!

These are just a few photos of before and after with the Fret Dr. I don't have any before shots with my USA's but you can see the difference. I can't say enough good things about that product.

Not my guitar, but it definitely needed some hydrating

Before

After

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                              Nimitz, I don't have any experience with the products you mentioned, but I have been using the Fret Dr. for years on my Custom Jacksons and other guitars with rosewood boards. It works fantastic! You only need a few drops, you don't want to slather it on the board and saturate the wood. Don't be afraid to give your wood a little love!
                              Rosewood is closed grain oily wood and won't absorb oil. Ebony is an open grain wood that will absorb oil. Kind of a big difference. Ebony should be maintained, rosewood is fine without it. Just fyi.

Comment

Working...
                              X