Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the Jackson JT-580LP compare to the Korean Floyds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the Jackson JT-580LP compare to the Korean Floyds?

Hello, I have never played a guitar with a Floyd Rose Special or one of those 1000 or 2000 series Floyds. I was just wondering if there is anyone here that has used the JT-580LP and the Korean Floyd Rose bridges and if they could tell me how the bridges compare in build quality, durability etc. I am not looking to replace my JT-580LP, I am just curious how these bridges compare because all of the current X Series and Pro Series guitars that I look at use the Korean Floyds and I always float the idea of picking up one of the SLX Soloists. The SLX is even more appealing now that Jackson has released the SL3X with the two single coil sized pickups and a humbucker. Reminds me of a Model 6.

I have read about the Korean made Floyd Rose bridges and know that the Special is the cheaper one, but I was just wondering how all of them compare to the old JT-580LP.

Thanks.

It's a bit of a loaded question, actually, because you can't find the Takeuchi-branded JT580LP brand new (as far as I know) for a direct comparison with a new Floyd Special.

The more recent non-Takeuchi models were not as good as the old ones, IMO, so there's going to be an even more drastic difference between the much-lower-quality Ping 580LP and a Korean Floyd Rose.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Aren't we having this same conversation two topics over??

In the long run, the 580lp is the better unit. And that is because the softer material of the cheap Floyds will eventually give you problems.
      Today, however, a brand new Special isn't the problem. The problem is over time. Longevity.

What I find odd, however, is that Jackson players love the Takeuchi models. Whereas the Ibanez guys think Takeuchi models suck.

Comment

I didn't like the Takeuchi one I played. I couldn't point to why, just didn't feel right. So take that with a grain of salt. I have played a bunch of angled plate 580LP's and the one on the 2006-ish DKMG, DK2, etc. felt good. All on my square plate 580LP's are great and they're from the mid-90's. I had an ESP/LTD that had the Special on it and it felt fine but hadn't got much use and I sold it..
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
          I didn't like the Takeuchi one I played. I couldn't point to why, just didn't feel right. So take that with a grain of salt. I have played a bunch of angled plate 580LP's and the one on the 2006-ish DKMG, DK2, etc. felt good. All on my square plate 580LP's are great and they're from the mid-90's. I had an ESP/LTD that had the Special on it and it felt fine but hadn't got much use and I sold it..
          The ones with the square baseplate are from 1994, and they're also Takeuchi.

When did the JT580LP stop with the Takeuchi name and become downgraded?
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

Had to been sometime in the early 2000's.
            My 2001 PC3 had a Takeuchi JT580LP and it was rock solid.
            You could pound on that thing relentlessly and it stayed in perfect tune. No wobbly trem arm either.
            -Rick

Comment

The late-90s Taks I had were reliable enough, though I didn't hold the guitar up by the bar and shake it like a baby, either. The Killer KG I had bore a Takeuchi Lo-TRS, and I really liked the tone of it, though again, I didn't do Vai-style whammy shit with it.

However, for my own personal tastes, I'll spend the extra on a Schaller JT590-style or a German OFR if I'm upgrading an import trem already.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                Had to been sometime in the early 2000's.
                My 2001 PC3 had a Takeuchi JT580LP and it was rock solid.
                You could pound on that thing relentlessly and it stayed in perfect tune. No wobbly trem arm either.
                Cool. I loved the JT580LP on my '94 Dinky Reverse (square baseplate), and also the one on my '96 or '97 Dinky Reverse. Those guitars are long gone, but they were great.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post

You positive of that? I don't remember them having Takeuchi anywhere on them. And I think the only thing I ever heard about them before now was Henrik's page that said possibly Schaller..?? I actually thought it could be made by Ping by the way the logo looks laser etched.
                  Last edited by warlok; 01-29-2016, 07:23 AM.
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Mine definitely said Takeuchi on it.

Comment

I've had Takeuchi and non-Takeuchi, as well as a couple of FR Specials and even some unbranded JT580LPs. I'd say they're all about the same quality.

They work well enough but I couldn't believe the difference when I got my PC-1. The REAL OFR is so much better than any of the cheaper versions. I'm happy enough with the JT580s I still have though.
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

My Takeuchi's only had it written on the block. Only visible if you took it out of the guitar.
                        And that was both Jackson and Ibanez.

Schaller had it written where it could be seen. If you are looking at pictures, that's really the only way to tell the difference between the 500 and 590 (which has nothing to do with Takeuchi).

Comment

Yes, on the block is where mine said Takeuchi.

Comment

My 92 Fusion H-H had the Takeuchi 580 LP and I can't say anything bad about it at all.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I played a lot of the imports in the late 90s and early 2000s ... I remember seen Takeuchi on some of them. I always liked the JT580LP better than OFRs. I remember getting my first SL2H and DK1 and kept going back to my DK2s and DXMGs because they just played better. Everything about those guitars seemed nicer/more streamlined to me. I still think OFRs are the better unit, but maybe I'd prefer a low profile OFR or something on an Ibby.
                              My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Working...
                              X