Floyds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyds

Will an Original Floyd Rose fit on a KEXMG (Jackson Kelly). I don't like the special floyd and want to replace it with a better one.

Whats not to like about the OFR special?
    The ones I have work great just like the German ones.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I've had zero problems with the special, or 1000 series, should be a direct swap though
      Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

The real Floyds will sound .001% better

Comment

Oh brother. Here we go.

Comment

\m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

I'll bite just to make it funny. If you think the 1000 series is as good as the real deal, then you probably have not used the real deal.
              I will say that quality dipped there for awhile but seems to be back on track. The fine tuners have about half the range and stiff as hell,
              the saddles are also not the same quality etc... The 1000/OEM are fine and they work and all, but I prefer the real one's, since I have had one
              since they started, yeah I'm old. Any little change bothers me, cause I am anal like that, lol.

Comment

Ibanez Edge.......that is all!
                www.vvforums.com

Comment

While I can agree that a brand new FR Special might work alright for a while... it's simply not possible to call it equal to an OFR. The shitty zinc alloy that's used in the saddles should be enough to make any person go absolutely insane, when every single saddle has developed deep grooves after (maximum) a couple of years, resulting in severe string slippage.

Flame away, tell me that I've overtightened the screws or whatever. But until someone proves that the zinc alloy used is harder than hardened steel saddles...

The 1000 series is a good unit, and I'd take it over the Special any day. The baseplates for the Special and the 1000 series are probably more or less the same, but the saddles make all the difference in the world.

*Edit: To answer your question, an OFR should fit. Floyd Rose claims the measurements are absolutely identical, but I've heard that there may be small differences. So perhaps you're best off trying one out before you buy one (if possible), just to make sure.
                  Last edited by Anders; 01-25-2016, 04:37 AM.
                  https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

I have seen a few cases where the Special or the 1000 are a few mm's off in dimensions and as such have rubbed some wood on either side of the tremolo posts. A friend of mine swapped out a gold OFR for a black 1000 on a PC1 and it did indeed chip the wood.

And yes I agree there is nothing quite like the Original Floyd Rose in regards to tone and durability.

Given that the others are made in what? Korea? There must be some degree of cost cutting and that certainly involves the material used to manufacture those units.
                    Last edited by vklobucar; 01-25-2016, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Let's put this to rest- the Special and the 1000 are made in Korea. The OFR: Germany. The Special has lower cost and lower quality materials. The 1000 Series is reportedly "manufactured using the same materials and processes" which is slick marketing bullshit. Anyone that's logged in time with the 1000 and the OFR (as some on here have already attested to) knows that there are subtle and not-so-subtle differences between the two, despite FR's claims. The micro tuners are one that immediately spring to mind. The OFR has finer/smaller threading allowing for more precise adjustment and less frequency of binding, resulting in stiff turning. These are the types of details omitted in FR's claims that the 1000 is made of the same materials, using the same manufacturing processes.

Then we get anecdotal evidence, which, let's face it, overrides whatever anyone else brings to the debate because personal experience is exceedingly hard to dismiss in light of someone else's experiences or the company's claims. To wit, of the 8 Series 1000 trems I've owned, all properly set up, NONE has performed as well as my OFRs. None. End of story.

I'll qualify this in saying that if you don't use the trem that much; maybe a few dive bombs and some shallow vibrato, then a 1000 or Special will likely be fine. But in the end, you get what you pay for. So, to the good folks who maintain that a 1000 or a Special is as good as an OFR, sell that bullshit somewhere else, 'cuz I ain't buying it.

Comment

Labor costs are wildly different between Germany and Korea. While material costs and such can be identical, significant cost differences in labor can result in a reduced cost to the consumer.

This is still up in the air, IMO, mostly because of perception and efforts applied to "making it fail". I.E., someone takes a brand new Korea-made Floyd Rose and immediately declares it junk, then proceeds to beat the shit out of it with greater intensity than they would a German-made Floyd Rose. When the Korean model fails after such abuse, it's held up like Oswald's rifle. However, despite all claims to the contrary and their best assurances, no one can prove they've beat the fuck out of their German OFR with the same vigor (mostly because they're so expensive to replace).

However, I will agree the 1000 series threading is a lot more questionable than the Schallers. Bar collars won't stay tight, fine tuners are sticky and jumpy.

Then again, I'm sure the 1000 series is not being billed as the Touring/Working Musician's Floyd, either, and if you're slugging it out in the trenches with a FRT-1000 and it fails, you shoulda got a Schaller. If you're a bedroom player like the majority of people, a Korean Floyd will do you for 10 years.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Agree that the Floyd Special is inferior. The differences between the "1000 series" and Original Floyd are marginal, though. Mainly the fine tuner action and bar collar, noted above. "I prefer it the way it used to be" kind of stuff.

Bottom line: would I prefer a MIG Original Floyd? Yes, of course. Would I go out of my way to replace a MIK 1000? No, not at all. Would I go out of my way to replace a Special? Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                            Agree that the Floyd Special is inferior. The differences between the "1000 series" and Original Floyd are marginal, though. Mainly the fine tuner action and bar collar, noted above. "I prefer it the way it used to be" kind of stuff.

Bottom line: would I prefer a MIG Original Floyd? Yes, of course. Would I go out of my way to replace a MIK 1000? No, not at all. Would I go out of my way to replace a Special? Yes.
                            That is exactly where I am at.
                            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I'd LOVE to have a 1000 that performed as well as my OFR's. From tuning stability to flutter width and duration, the 1000's just can't measure up. And while I can't say for certain that different locations of manufacturing are the culprit, it sure has to be considered given the threading and screw down collar issues. It's a reasonable reach of logic to assume if those items are under-performing due to differences in manufacturing, then there could be others that contribute to loss of tuning and pitiful flutter.

Comment

Working...
                              X