Bought my son a guitar today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought my son a guitar today...

I looked into the Squire Bullets, cheaper F-Strats, and Jackson's. Without question in the lower price range spectrum a Jackson, even the India made ones played faster and felt better than anything else I grabbed. I tryed out an Ibenhad/Ibenslammed/Ibenreemed too (only three of the terms Newc has used). [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I went pawn shop hopping today and found a 24 fret ebony board, MOP dots, Jumbo frets, HSH pups, Quilt Top, Cherry Sunburst, Jackson Dinky Professional with Licensed FR for $200. Only one small ding in it. No buckle rash or anything else. I'm going to block the Floyd so he can tune it easier.

So... My sons going to get a Jackson for Christmas!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Bought my son a guitar today...

Someone's going to be a popular dad this year! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Sweet! Has he been asking for one?

Comment

That's great, I bet he'll be happy.

Comment

thats great man, i got my les paul for christmas '86 and its a day ill never forget. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

matt

Comment

Hell ya he's been askin for one. Otherwise it would have been MY Christmas present. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But if it were going to be MY Christmas present I would have spent an entire year trying to find the 'right' one.

I started the fore-runner to this thread on the other board (well same board but on EZ-Board) when I was looking for a guitar for under $200 for him.

I play everyday. Don't have time for a band anymore. Responsibility got in the way. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] But he doesn't have to worry about that, and if he starts now he can be like killer when he's seventeen or so. He's ten now, plays the violin in orchestra so he's into the strings already. They're teaching him correctly at orchestra, and I'll probably find a teacher for him for guitar. I can teach him what I know, at a price for my frustration and him for all the bad habits I'd pass along. Plus I can practice with him when he comes back from lessons! That could be cool...

Anyway I think he'll be grinnin from ear to ear.

Comment

Real Cool

Comment

Try not to force him though. If you MAKE him have lessons and things it will seem more a chore than fun and he will probably give up

Comment

Dude, wish my dad did half of that, lol. Hope your son appreciates how much you encourage his musical side. I found mine and am progressing by myself. Rock on dad! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

You SCORED on that Dinky!
                    [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

My son is getting a guitar too! Basically he wants to get into it from watching me play, so we went to a few stores and looked at a few(many) of the cheaper guitars. Based on his input I got him one for christmas also.

He's 12, he took a year of piano lessons, and is now on his second year of trumpet. I don't want to force him, I'm glad the idea was completely his. If he loses interest, my 10 year old daughter wants to try guitar also! She also took piano and is now on her first year of clarinet.

Music is a big part of my family, which is great!

DRH

[ December 18, 2002, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: DRH ]

Comment

I have only been playing guitar for about a year or so. My son has been selected to play a bass drum in his school christmas program for K-5a class. Now he watches my Metallica media more than I do, and wants to change his name to Lars and get some drums lol. So he might just get his wish, the drums I mean. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

James Hutto

Comment

cool. i remember wehn my dad bought me my first guitar. i thoguht he was like a god.

Comment

Thanks for the accolades, though that's not why I posted. Really! I was so totally stoked that I could get him a guitar and found such a great deal too. To everyone in a position such as the one us 'dads' are in; thank the Lord we're in a position to be able to provide things like this for our children. We are fortunate. Music to me is an escape from the pressures of life and an expression of self at the same time. A shrink would had a field day with me. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I hope my son finds this a similar journey. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X