Vintage Pickup restore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Pickup restore

Ok, it's been a while.. Sometimes, life gets a bit "complicated"...

So, I stole my Dad's 1957 PAF pickups he took out of his Les Paul in the mid 80's while home for Christmas. His birthday is this July, and I would like to get these puppies rewound and restored for him. Anyone have any ideas as to who to go to? I've done a few swaps in my day, but have never been in this situation before. Of course, I want them as close to OEM as humanly possible.. Any suggestions?? Would love to drop these in his lap...

Thanks!!!
    Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Do they NEED to be rewound?
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I dunno. Unless the pickups are not working for some reason I would not ge them rewound nor would I restore them. Doing either would reduce their value significantly

Comment

Contact Seymour Duncan, he'll do it.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thank you, Toejam.. He was already on my "short list", but have been out of the loop for a bit so was curious as to what other options I may have. Yes, the pickups are toast, that is why Dad changed them. Never understood why he went with X2N's, though... Not his style...
          Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

No problem. I'm sure there are others who could do it, maybe even Gibson, but I'd definitely trust Duncan without a doubt.

As for X2Ns, they definitely sound good and work well with older amps that don't have much gain. Since you're in NY, maybe Larry DiMarzio would even be worth a shot.

Comment

X2N's were way hot for what Dad plays. Yeah, his amp is older... Older that his Les Paul by 3 years. I think I would be much more comfortable with Seymour. He was my first inclination.. Never doubt your instinct, I guess.. I wouldn't trust Gibson.. I have tried some of their newer junk.. Not impressed..

Comment

Yeah, who knows about Gibson these days. Their pickups are good, but not sure what they'd do to your original pickups or if you'd even get the same ones back.

Comment

If those are indeed original 1957 PAFs DONT TOUCH THEM! unless like said before they NEED restoration.

Comment

Yes, they are original 57 PAF's. I will post pics as soon as I get a minute. For whatever reason (most likely Jack Daniels), Dad already disassembled them (desoldered covers from base plate, coils are sepperated from base plate), but all the original components are still there, including the piece of maple. As much of a procrastinator as he is, they were probably taking their last breath when he finally changed them.

Comment

Like toejam said, Seymour Duncan would most likely be your best option.

Comment

.Pics as promised.

And The Beast itself...

Comment

Lindy Fralin is who I would call.
                          I'll bet they were still working when he took them out because sweat and and Jacks Daniels won't kill a pick up.
                          Seeing them torn apart is heartbreaking to me.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                            Lindy Fralin is who I would call.
                            I'll bet they were still working when he took them out because sweat and and Jacks Daniels won't kill a pick up.
                            Seeing them torn apart is heartbreaking to me.
                            I guarantee you that not one drop of JD hit the pickups...

Comment

Nice. I'd love to see them after a restore.

Comment

Working...
                              X