Ffs!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ffs!!!

Sent my SL2HT to have the pots, switch and jack replaced with new CTS and Switchcraft parts. I stressed that they needed to be an exact replacement.
    Look what they did!!
    That cheap looking plastic tip!
    Toggle moves in the wrong direction!
    The pots lack the 'stiffness' of the originals, though they are CTS. I much prefer the stiffness.

Does anyone know where I can get the proper pots and switch?

[IMG][/IMG]
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Sweet guitar man. I love jackson hardtails.

Frets on the net can hook you up with proper Jackson styled switch tips that fit switchcraft switches. I believe they are called Ontario tips. I've bought a few myselff.

What year is the guitar? I know that older Jacksons used different types of pots that todays CTS pots cant replicate, but I dont know at what year they switched to CTS

All new CTS pots I've tried have a scratchy feeling to the pot, while older jackson pots have a smooth, stiff feeling. The new CTS pots still sound great, though.
    Last edited by Iceberg794; 12-15-2015, 07:24 PM. Reason: frets on the tips only fit switchcraft

Comment

Bourns is the way to go on pots these days, IMO - the CTS pots have been problematic.

I can't believe they didn't give you back your switch tip!
      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceberg794 View Post
        Sweet guitar man. I love jackson hardtails.

Frets on the net can hook you up with proper Jackson styled switch tips that fit switchcraft switches. I believe they are called Ontario tips. I've bought a few myselff.

What year is the guitar? I know that older Jacksons used different types of pots that todays CTS pots cant replicate, but I dont know at what year they switched to CTS

All new CTS pots I've tried have a scratchy feeling to the pot, while older jackson pots have a smooth, stiff feeling. The new CTS pots still sound great, though.
        Thanks for the compliment. It's all string thru Jacksons for me.
        It's a late '07-early '08. The pots were originally CTS solid shaft 500K and 250K. The dummies replaced them with CTS split shaft 500K and 500K. The originals were much stiffer and smoother than the new pots. Also, the new tone is stiffer than the new volume. Totally inconsistent.

Thanks for the FOTN mention. I didn't realize he offered those tips and I'll definitely be gettin' one. I'm surprised the tip won't fit on the new Switchcraft. My original switch looks like the metric example on the stewmac site. The new switch looks like the imperial example.

Metric
        [IMG][/IMG]

Imperial
        [IMG][/IMG]

Could it be I need the metric switch to make my original metal tip fit?

Originally posted by eaeolian View Post
        Bourns is the way to go on pots these days, IMO - the CTS pots have been problematic.

I can't believe they didn't give you back your switch tip!
        They gave my tip back, but the sucky part is; it don't fit.
        I'd be willing to try Bourns pots. My only stipulation is it has to have a smooth, stiff rotation.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
          Sent my SL2HT to have the pots, switch and jack replaced with new CTS and Switchcraft parts. I stressed that they needed to be an exact replacement.

Toggle moves in the wrong direction!
          Just loosen the nut and then turn it the right way.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I tried twisting it to the correct position, but I ran out of wire before I got it right. Typical, right?

The 500K in the tone position is way too muddy for me.
            I'm gonna need the proper 500k and 250k with solid shafts instead of these split shafts.

The switch tip is on it's way from fotn. That's a relief.

It's amazing how unprofessional this whole situation is considering the luthier has an impressive resume. I've had 3 different $100-$150 jobs done and he's wrecked 2 of them. I guess I should've stopped after the first muck up.
            His fret level/crown/polish and setup of my Soloist was amazing.

In his defense, he's offered to correct both mess ups for free.

Comment

If I'm reading correctly, a 250k in place of a previous 500k volume pot will darken your tone? If this is correct, I expect my 500k volume was replaced with a 250k, and my 250k tone was replaced with the 500k?
              Would this explain the boost in lows?

I can read 500 on the tone, but the numbers are covered with solder on the volume.
              My old cap had .22, the new cap has 223k?

I wasn't concerned with my tone until I lost it.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment. It's all string thru Jacksons for me.
                It's a late '07-early '08. The pots were originally CTS solid shaft 500K and 250K. The dummies replaced them with CTS split shaft 500K and 500K. The originals were much stiffer and smoother than the new pots. Also, the new tone is stiffer than the new volume. Totally inconsistent.
                That's just CTS these days. I stopped using them 3 years ago because of these issues.

Could it be I need the metric switch to make my original metal tip fit?
                Quite possibly. I haven't had to replace a switch with one of those tips yet.

I'd be willing to try Bourns pots. My only stipulation is it has to have a smooth, stiff rotation.
                They might be too loose for you. The rotation is very smooth, though, especially on the "premium" pots. (For the record, I use the standard 24mm pots in most things.)
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I tried twisting it to the correct position, but I ran out of wire before I got it right. Typical, right?
                  Ah, that's a bummer! I had that happen when a new switch was put in by a local shop. The switch wasn't totally in the wrong direction, but not the way I wanted it. After a little twisting, it was fine, but I guess I had enough wire. At least your guy will correct it for you.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X