Replacing Single coils in an early 90's USA soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Single coils in an early 90's USA soloist

The route doesn't suit standard single coils what options are there for replacement other than rerouting the body?
    Power chords...what more do you need?!

Nevermind, found some info while searching a bit more!

Comment

If you're talking about SC routes without the "tab", Dimarzio does special orders of their pickups without that. Haven't done it in a while, myself, but the upcharge used to be very reasonable.

Comment

Yes, both DiMarzio and Duncan will do pickups without the tab.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks guys. Very helpful.

Comment

I put a Duncan STK-4N and an STK-4M in my SDK

Had to fill the holes and put them in with thinner screws as the pick ups have a threaded metal insert and the old screws were too big.
            Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

Originally posted by artonsafari View Post
              I put a Duncan STK-4N and an STK-4M in my SDK

Had to fill the holes and put them in with thinner screws as the pick ups have a threaded metal insert and the old screws were too big.
              Why not drill them out?
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

With Duncan, you have to specify that you want the wire to come out from under the baseplate/bobbin near the treble end, otherwise they'll just do it in the current Hot Rails/JB Jr format where it comes out of the center of the bobbin, which is great if you're putting it into a Strat-style with a pickguard, but still won't fit the older Jackson slots.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Why not drill them out?
                  I could have, but wanted to keep the pickups intact in case I want to throw them in something else. Was easy enough to break off and glue a couple toothpicks in the old holes and grab thinner screws.
                  Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

I send my bodies to Eddie Van Halen, and he chisels the pickup routes out for me. Perhaps you've heard of him. Because they are done by hand, each route is done slightly differently which gives each guitar "personality". I ask him to do them smooth and straight, but they tend to come back with all these little imperfections and angles going on. It's all good, it's only Rock n' Roll!! Nobody is going to complain about routes being crooked when I'm blasting them in the goddamn face with my EVH 5150 III. Well maybe they will, but that amp has a way of drowning out complaints if you know what I mean LOL!! Eddie only charges me "oh, for you, $812" per route.

Comment

Wolfetone will do them to fit those routs. I have a set in my '88 Dinky.
                      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        I send my bodies to Eddie Van Halen, and he chisels the pickup routes out for me. Perhaps you've heard of him. Because they are done by hand, each route is done slightly differently which gives each guitar "personality". I ask him to do them smooth and straight, but they tend to come back with all these little imperfections and angles going on. It's all good, it's only Rock n' Roll!! Nobody is going to complain about routes being crooked when I'm blasting them in the goddamn face with my EVH 5150 III. Well maybe they will, but that amp has a way of drowning out complaints if you know what I mean LOL!! Eddie only charges me "oh, for you, $812" per route.
                        A round of applause for your unlawful carnal knowledge!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          A round of applause for your unlawful carnal knowledge!
                          Yeah these kids nowadays with their fancy schmancy direct-mount humbuckers...Eddie was pioneering that back in the 70's when they were loading up their diapers!

Comment

I was loading up my diapers in the '70s, too!

Comment

Working...
                            X