Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you guys think is the fattest sounding neck humbucker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you guys think is the fattest sounding neck humbucker?

that splits really well. I used my SL2H at a jam session last week and I was amazed how thin the Jazz sounds in that guitar.
    I'd love to drop something in that's thicker sounding but splits well. My GMW has a 59 in it and that one taps great but I don't know if that would work as well in a soloist.
    thoughts?
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Jackson J-50N or a DiMarzio PAF
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'm surprised that the Jazz doesn't cut it for you. When I read the title of your post, I instantly thought of the Jazz. It's my neck humbucker of choice. I've had the '59 in a couple of guitars and found it too boomy for my liking. As always, personal preference!
      A Charvel CX592, Jackson JS20 and a Jackson DK2, amongst others....

Comment

Originally posted by hairy-dude View Post
        I'm surprised that the Jazz doesn't cut it for you. When I read the title of your post, I instantly thought of the Jazz. It's my neck humbucker of choice. I've had the '59 in a couple of guitars and found it too boomy for my liking. As always, personal preference!
        I've always found it a bit thin sounding in this guitar but in a band context it really stuck out. I generally tend to like the Jazz too, but this one is not cutting it.
        it may just be this particular pickup as the bridge pickup in this guitar is nice and full sounding. I think I'm going to throw a 59 in there and give it a shot.
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I've always liked both the Jazz and '59 for a neck pup, but the Jazz is definitely brighter and not really what I would call fat sounding. The '59 also has a little scoop in the mids which definitely brings out the low end a little more, plus it's a little higher in output than the Jazz.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

EMG 85 in the neck, it doesn't get much fatter than that, then again, it's so overpowered it totally fucks up the balance with the bridge p'up and makes it pretty much unusable
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I love the 59 in the neck, tho a few suggested I try a pearly gates neck which is just a tweaked version of a 59.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                EMG 85 in the neck, it doesn't get much fatter than that, then again, it's so overpowered it totally fucks up the balance with the bridge p'up and makes it pretty much unusable
                Tone knob, dial it back & let that bitch eat
                \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Not if you put two 85s in the guitar! Or just lower the neck pup a little. Then again, I usually prefer the 85 in the bridge with an 81 or 60 in the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Not if you put two 85s in the guitar! Or just lower the neck pup a little. Then again, I usually prefer the 85 in the bridge with an 81 or 60 in the neck.
                    I'll bet if you were a bird, you'd fly upside down and backwards. 81 in the NECK who does that!!!

heavy sarcasm

Edited to move ^ down so you couldn't see it without scrolling... hope this works (hehe)
                    Last edited by Jackson8090s; 11-09-2015, 05:50 PM.
                    \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Lowering the p'up if doable (wasn't possible on my direct mounting Ibanez), but I prefer the 81n/85b combo
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Lowering the p'up if doable (wasn't possible on my direct mounting Ibanez), but I prefer the 81n/85b combo
                        Ah, damn those direct mounts!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson8090s View Post
                          I'll bet if you were a bird, you'd fly upside down and backwards. 81 in the NECK who does that!!!

heavy sarcasm

Edited to move ^ down so you couldn't see it without scrolling... hope this works (hehe)
                          Lots of people do that! I always thought the 81 was a little bright in the bridge of some guitars (unless tuned down to D or lower). It's okay, but the 85 definitely is beefier sounding, and I just prefer the brighter 81 in the neck.

Comment

^ this.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Lots of people do that! I always thought the 81 was a little bright in the bridge of some guitars (unless tuned down to D or lower). It's okay, but the 85 definitely is beefier sounding, and I just prefer the brighter 81 in the neck.
                              That's cool... I have 81/85 in two guitars as you all know (I've only posted them a few million times) I run the usually setup 81B & 85N , but it was recently disclosed to me that for Obituary songs the 85 is in the Bridge. So I was going to do a swap on the one guitar (Kelly) and give that a try. Seen that on JCF facebook talking to a dude when the site went down for that 4 days.
                              \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Working...
                              X