Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Stealth pickup swap

Hey

I have a Japanese Jackson Stealth XL. Love the guitar, but hate the pickups. It's currently loaded with an EMG 81/S/S set. The EMG 81 is fine, but the S pickups aren't working for me. I already have an idea that I'd like to swap out for a Duncan JB and a pair of Hot Rails but I have a problem.

The SD forum tipped me off to this issue so I initially gave up. But I'm bored of the thin sound of the EMG S pickups. And nope, wiring it with 18v has not helped at all really.

I have included a picture of the guitar. Is there any way I can fit some decent passive single coil sized pickups in these routes without modifying the route too badly? I don't mind a if a little wood needs to be chunked out leaving a ledge.

On the other hand, are there any decent rail pickups with the EMG S footprint that I could fit? I did consider Seymour Duncan custom shop, but it would be £300 for just the two hot rails pickups - a little too much really.

I'm happy to consider different brands with similar characteristics to the SD Hot Rails.

NB: Yes, it needs a clean, it gets a lot of use. And yes that's an OFR in the route as the original tremolo was damaged in various ways. The OFR is beautiful though.

Just use the Hot Rails then. I have a 1992-DK1 with the exact same space for the single-coils. I just cut the wires of the Hot-Rail at the beginning and resoldered them at the bottom of the pickup. This way no routing was needed.

Comment

You can get hotrails and cool rails without the ledge without going to the custom shop. The little 59 and JB JR done have them at all from what I've seen. Don't think the fast tracks have them either
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

Working...
      X