Is basswood ok for a Tremolo abuser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is basswood ok for a Tremolo abuser?

Hi guys, I am interested in getting a Jackson SDX or a ESP LTD MH-103 STBLK but I'm kinda worried about the body wood, which is basswood for both. My current guitar, a 2010 JS-32 KV with a Indian Cedro body, had the wood where the FR posts are inserted broken, and I couldn't get it fixed, so I would like to get one of these. But after searching on the Web I found some info like http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...-Rose-Disaster where people with basswood guitars blamed the wood for the issue. I wouldn't want this to happen again, specially since I have a low budget and because I like to abuse the FR a little. So I would like to know if you think I should get something with "better" wood on the body or if these are ok and I shouldn't worry.

I hope this is the right section for this question.
    Thanks in advance.

1. Stop the abuse. To quote Greg, "Go Jack Butler on that shit", but don't abuse it. There is a difference.
    2. Speaking of Jack Butler ~~ Steve Vai used to go bananas on his trems. The Jem used to be made of bassword. I would assume that if Basswood is good enough for Steve, then it is good enough for you.
    3. Not all woods are created equal. You can find cheap basswood as well as good basswood.
    Last edited by pianoguyy; 10-17-2015, 07:58 AM.

Comment

As long as it's got modern posts with inserts and not just wood screw posts going straight into the body, you'll be fine.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

@ Pianoguyy Yeah probably I'm too rough with it. I shouldn't worry about cheap basswood then?

@toejam yes they have posts with inserts, my JS has aswell.

If they came with one of those metal plate inserts... do you guys know where I can get some? I can't find them anywhere.
        Last edited by anarkhos; 10-17-2015, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Cedro is cedar, which is very porous, so it's not a surprise that the trem post inserts busted through the wood. It's also possible the wood cracked by over-cranking the post itself.
          It's also possible the post holes were drilled too close to the edge of the bridge slot.

Basswood is a soft wood, but not as porous as cedro/cedar, so it's not as likely to split unless the holes are drilled too close to the slot, in which case it wouldn't matter if it was a thick mahogany or maple slab.

Everyone uses good basswood and cheap basswood. With very few exceptions, it's been my experience that Jackson has used a higher grade of affordable woods on their low-end imports than what I've seen of other companies.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

That gives me some relief, thanx Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Everyone uses good basswood and cheap basswood. With very few exceptions, it's been my experience that Jackson has used a higher grade of affordable woods on their low-end imports than what I've seen of other companies.
              I've got a basswood fusion and the basswood SDX, the SDX weighs a ton compared to the fusion, and makes it feel much more solid
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                I've got a basswood fusion and the basswood SDX, the SDX weighs a ton compared to the fusion, and makes it feel much more solid
                Yeah, when I picked a SDX for the first time I also tried one of the new JS kelly guitars and that was heavy, they are all made at the same place I think, with the same woods probably.

The SDX was a bit light but great nontheless.
                Last edited by anarkhos; 10-19-2015, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Its basswood, not balsawood
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                    Its basswood, not balsawood
                    nice one! Yeah I know, I just don't want to have this issue again, specially without the possibility to repair it, and the stuff I read at other forums freightened me a bit... that's why I get the final word from here, I know I can trust the knowledge you guys have.

Comment

Working...
                    X