Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treated vs untreated polish cloth

Pollish* not polish lol

At the risk of being treated like a moron, can someone tell me the dif between treated and untreated guitar pollish cloths?
    Last edited by Gregocide; 09-11-2015, 07:45 PM.

I'd assume they're just cotton or microfiber cloths impregnated with a polish? I wouldn't personally buy them.

For painted bodies, any auto paint polish will work just fine and most people will already have some in their garage. Chances are you probably have some NuFinish or Turtle Wax... get a cheap bag of soft red cotton rags or microfiber cloths and you're set.

Here's a 24 pack for $10: http://www.amazon.com/Quickie-Origin...crofiber+cloth
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Or maybe they're "treatedl to work longer? I really have no clue. Anyone with definite knowledge, feel free to chime in???

Comment

Definite knowledge would require mentioning a specific product. Cloth can be impregnated with many different things.

edit: And sorry, I'm not trying to be an ass... but it's a cloth, could be cotton or poly or microfiber... it could have turtlewax, meguiars or some no name cheap polish... and actually, it's not likely impregnated, but pre-applied to the particular cloth they're using.

Using your own wax and your own microfiber cloths assures that you're not using something potentially unwanted. For all you know the polish they're using contains fillers or chemicals that you might not want to use. And of course, you're gonna spend more money on a pre-applied ready to use product. Which would be silly since most people have car wax... and if you don't have microfiber cloths, get some... use them for cleaning monitors, glass, whatever. They're quite handy.
        Last edited by xenophobe; 09-11-2015, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Fender brand treated pollishing cloth.

i googled it, and you are correct. Thank you for the info you have given so far, i do appreciate it.

I know fender owns jackson, is it safe to presume this will not damage my jackson?

I appologize for questioning your initial response, wasn't sure if you were shooting in the dark. I appreciate your taking the time to try to help me out

Comment

Ty for all of the info you added to your previous posts.

Comment

The Fender site says it's pre-treated with a cleaning agent, and other site said it would remove fingerprints from black guitars... which leads me to believe it's pre-treated with their cleaning agent, which is not polish at all.

I was given a Fender polish kit some xmas ago. It came with a spray quick clean, a separate wipe on cleaning agent and a polish and what I assume were untreated soft cotton cloth. The polish was just ok, but I found the wipe on cleaner was really impressive. It would clean the paint and was highly resistant to fingerprints on black finished guitars.

So if you don't mind the cost, might be worth trying out. But you are paying extra for the cloth being pretreated. Might be handy but not cost effective.

This is the product I thought was excellent:
              http://www.fender.com/accessories/ca...0.html#start=1
              Last edited by xenophobe; 09-11-2015, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks my friend. Do you think this cloth would be suited for cleaning fretboards and necks, or exclusively bodies?

Comment

Yeah, it'd be just fine to wipe down the entire guitar. I wouldn't really use it for cleaning though. Just to wipe down a guitar after use. If you need to clean off fretboard gunk, a toothbrush or 0000 steel wool with lemon oil or some other fretboard oil... mineral oil.

Comment

ty!!

Comment

I don't disagree with anything Xenophone has told you, that's good advice. All of us do things differently based on results or what we have convinced ourselves of that works

Assuming your guitar is broke down ... no strings , if it has a tremolo I remove the whole system depends on how bad I sweat on it, all knobs and toggle switches are removed and pushed back in the cavity. This is where the new EMGs also kick ass, one plug there out with rings.

I use the DUNLOP 65 products these days. I start with a dry clean microfiber just getting rid of dust and loose dirt/grime from top to bottom. ( I never use this rag again during my process, and it gets laundered every couple of uses)

Guitar body/headstock only ,Guitar Cleaner - I break out my cleaning microfiber, apply the cleaner to the rag (NOT the guitar), dampening it, start wiping, small corners and around the neck joint I use Q-tips. I break out my drying rag also microfiber and dry the guitar completely! This is a good time to go out for a smoke or a stretch.

Guitar body/headstock only ,Cream of Carnauba - Polish , I grab another microfiber rag apply the polish to the rag, apply to guitar body and headstock .... let it haze up for about 5 minutes I usually go smoke. I remove it with a separate microfiber rag, this rag gets washed, my polish apply rag never gets washed, I've been using it for so long I rarely have to apply polish to the rag.

Ultimate Lemon Oil - fret board ( nothing "Ultimate" about it, it's just lemon oil, but that's what they call it)
                      I have 2 rags for this process as well apply and rub in, usually let it stand a few minutes, remove and dry completely. Use Q-tips near the frets to assure they are dry. Our guitars cost good hard earned money, whether it's a cheap 200 dollar guitar or a 1,300.00 it gets the same treatment in my house. , My guitars hang on the wall when not in use, so I go over them with a microfiber once a week after a good cleaning just to keep dust from building, if I play one I wipe it down before putting it back up. I have string cleaner I run over it as well. My strings last longer. Hope that helps some.

I've actually been giving some thought to getting one of those polish balls for my battery powered DeWalt drill and use that to polish. I know a guy who has great results he also modified a string winder to attach to the drill and uses it to string up.
                      Last edited by Jackson8090s; 09-12-2015, 11:27 AM.
                      \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Ty 8090s. In your opinion, would you consider it appropriate to wipe the fretboard down with the "treated" cloth after use?

Comment

No, because you'd be over doing it... just a dry clean microfiber and string cleaner. Make sure you're washing drying your hands before playing. If you sweat badly make sure you're wiping it down and cleaning the strings.
                          Last edited by Jackson8090s; 09-12-2015, 11:42 AM.
                          \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

If you're a gigging musician you may need to clean more often, just a bedroom player nah, just as above.
                            \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Ok ty

Comment

Working...
                              X