Fixing a loose skunk stripe on back of neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing a loose skunk stripe on back of neck

I have a mid-90s neck with a walnut skunk stripe which is partially protruding out from the back of the neck, maybe 1 to 2 mm at the most at the center, at the 10th fret but not at all at the edges. I think it may have dried and shrunk a bit and combined with pressure from the truss rod, allowed t to come loose. It still holds up with a guitar being strung up to tension, but I loosened them until I do something.

I was thinking of using tightbond and work between the stripe and the maple neck and clamp the stripe to make it flush. Any better ideas? I’d rather work with wood glue than a cyano-type glue, unless it’s better to use it.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Wow, don't encounter that problem every day! Can you move the walnut
    plug easily? I'd make a dry run first before gluing. How are you going to
    get the glue in there? Run some along the edge and draw it into the space
    when you clamp it down? Or can you actually remove the skunk stripe
    altogether?

Comment

Well the skunk stripe isn't actually holding the truss rod in - so that's not a problem.

You can use clamps to press it back in and if there's a gap you can shoot in super glue. If it's not moving at all you can file it flat.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Super glue? I wouldn't put superglue on wood. Just squirt as much wood glue as you can into it, clamp it down let it dry for a day.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Maybe it is not as bad as I thought. It's maybe 0.5 mm sticking out of 1 side only, the top side (Low E side). I'll post a pic of it here to show what I mean. I probably could file/sand it down, but I'd feel better if I try to glue it back first with wood glue and clamping, maybe even with some sawdust mixed in. My fingers (especially the skin!) prefer wood glue of super glue! Plus, I like the longer open time w wood glue. It's a nice neck otherwise, a '95 Charvel 24 fret USA neck with the headstock no one likes. The stripe overall is pretty pointless since it has a rosewood fingerboard.

BTW, does Grandturk mean the truss rod isn't putting any pressure against the skunk stripe at all?
          Attached Files
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post

BTW, does Grandturk mean the truss rod isn't putting any pressure against the skunk stripe at all?
            Correct. The truss rod exerts pressure at the connection points in the wood, not against the skunk stripe. It's just to plug the hole
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Lee Valley has a glue that would work perfectly.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,110&p=30261

Comment

Working...
              X