Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just completed my second fret dressing job!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just completed my second fret dressing job!!

The first time was at least three years ago. Back then I used a piece of counter top granite for a leveling bar, a Home Depot level for a straight edge, a cheap eBay fret file, and a set of Harbor Freight files. This time around I used a notched straight edge, diamond coated crowning tool, and a silicone carbide leveling board from Neck Check Guitar. I think the notched straight edge was the key to a job well done. After marking the frets and running the leveling board I discovered the weirdest wear issue..... Frets two though nine on the d string all had a low spot that needed addressing. anyways I made the mistake of thinking that with a diamond coated crown tool I could just go straight to steel wool to remove the fine crowning scratches. I should have remembered from the first time that you need to use 600 grit to remove the scratches before steel wool or polished. After putting the strings back I a second time my frets were smooth as butter. My guy normally only charges $70 + strings for a fret dress and setup. The tools cost me $65 shipped!!!
Working...
X