Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese ProMod Neck Stability

Hi,

I've got a couple of 2011 ProMods (one SoCal, one SanDim). For some reason, the necks on these two guitars need very regular adjustments on the truss rods to keep them playing properly. By very regular, I mean every few weeks.

None of the other guitars that I have need anything like this level of tweaking (Gibsons, Fenders, Ibanezes). All are stored in the same way on wall hangers (could this be it).

Anyone else have the same problem with these?

Cheers,
    Ian

If they're bare finished necks, you could truoil, linseed oil or gunstock oil the neck and that should help.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Are the wall hangers on an outside wall(I don't mean on the out side, but is this on a perimeter wall) I live in a mobile home and any bare necked guitars hung on an exterior wall change with the weather! and I have lots of them hanging on the walls and even the ceiling and only the exterior wall hung guitars give me trouble! see!!!http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/145...orum-user-here

Comment

I've got several DK2M-necked guitars hanging on a perimeter wall of a mobile home, and that wall gets sun all day. Haven't noticed any need to adjust them.

However, they're also thicker than the ProMod necks.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sometimes they just need time to settle in.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            I've got several DK2M-necked guitars hanging on a perimeter wall of a mobile home, and that wall gets sun all day. Haven't noticed any need to adjust them.

However, they're also thicker than the ProMod necks.
            Maybe the problem I have is very high humidity in Florida and my mobile home is under heavy tree cover. the guitars with treated necks do not seem to bother at all though. I figured it is because the truss rod adjusts at the heel, and the guitars knows what a pain it is to adjust it and get it right and are testing my patience! I moved the promods to the celling with the artist series last weekend and time will tell if this changes anything!

Comment

I got no trees around the house, and here in West TN, we grow cotton and corn and soybeans, which require a fair amount of humidity, though admittedly not as much as Florida, or Louisiana where I grew up - Jesus I do NOT miss August down there. Or the flying roaches.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hi,

The guitars are on an internal wall and away from direct sunlight. I guess that it's humidity changes that must be the root of this, which would explain why it only affects the unfinished necks.

Some Googling later, it seems that I need to treat it like it's a cigar: keep it in it's case with a humidifier.

@ Axewielder - these are about 4 years old now. Do you think it's likely to settle down over time?

Cheers,
                Ian

Comment

Four years should be plenty of time to settle down. Some necks just never seem to quite settle down, though. On paper there may be a difference between finished and unfinished neck stability, but in my experience there isn't much of a correlation there. If anything, my painted necks tend to give me more grief.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                    truoil, linseed oil or gunstock oil the neck
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

My 2001 USA Fender's neck would need truss rod adjustment twice a year since I got it in 2001... and I kept that pretty much on a stand in my bedroom all the time through the years whenever I wasn't playing it. It did have a satin-finished neck, though.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X