Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose nut on neck and no Floyd Rose bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose nut on neck and no Floyd Rose bridge?

I recently picked up an unknown Jackson neck and I was wondering if there would be any real down side to keeping a Floyd Rose nut on a guitar neck without having a Floyd Rose in the bridge for the body.

Aside from missing out on the tuning stability offered by a Floyd bridge, nope.

I think someone makes standard replacement nuts for Floyd styles, though. Graphite, etc. Someone posted something about it in the Tech Q&A section a couple of years ago.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

They're called Ebanol nuts, and fit in place of the locking nut. From memory, there are different widths available, as well as top-mount and rear mount styles. They don't always line up with the screw holes in the neck, just because there are so many variations of lock nuts available from numerous manufacturers.

I have one in my my parts stash somewhere, as I tried to fit it to a Charvel neck ages ago, but it didn't line up with the screw holes, so I glued in a Gibson style graphtech net instead. Did not look quite right, but did the job. If you're willing to fill the existing screw holes and re-drill to suit the new nut, it should work out just fine.
      A Charvel CX592, Jackson JS20 and a Jackson DK2, amongst others....

Comment

Thanks for the info Newc and hairy-dude. I'm on the fence about what to do because most of my guitars have already have a Floyd Rose. I love them but I got a JT 390 kicking around and feel like putting together a cheap parts guitar.

Comment

You'll be fine with the Floyd nut and no trem.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think a Floyd Rose locking nut should be installed on every single guitar, just for tuning stability. Mick Thompson of Slipnot does this on guitars without trems just for the tuning stability. I can't tell you how many times I've cussed my Les Pauls for their shitty tuning stability.

Comment

Those little fine tuner screws on a floyd are there to fine tune after clamping the lock nut. Without them, how are you gonna tune? Most locking nuts send the strings out of tune, some minimally, others a heap. If it's a string thru, you're up poo creek.

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
                Those little fine tuner screws on a floyd are there to fine tune after clamping the lock nut. Without them, how are you gonna tune? Most locking nuts send the strings out of tune, some minimally, others a heap. If it's a string thru, you're up poo creek.
                That's true. String-thru you're screwed. I still like the Gibson fine tuning tailpieces.

Comment

Floyd nut is great, but I also like my Sperzels w/roller nut. With nothing to bind on, tuning stability is just a little bit better.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I was leaning towards a string thru type body for something different but a nice PS4 happened to come my way.

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
                      Don't tell Brad Gillis and other die hards who still use and love the original Floyd Rose. It had no fine tuners, but locked both at the bridge and nut. You have to "learn" how your guitar ends up once clamped, and compensate for that when tuning. So if your "G" string normally goes a little sharp when you lock it down, you purposely tune it flat before the locking to make it balance out in the end. Don't think it stays in tune as well? Listen to "Speak of the Devil" as the entire album was recorded with that.
                      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                      Gotta get away from here.
                      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Randy Rhoads inspired me to play guitar... Brad Gillis made me want a Floyd.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Can these ebanol nuts still be obtained? Allparts don't stock them anymore.
                          Power chords...what more do you need?!

Comment

Working...
                          X