Clear coat issue on a Snakeskin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear coat issue on a Snakeskin

**NGD Feb 10, 2016** (edited in 6 months after original post)

I am looking at an 88 Strat. I have the chance to buy it before it hits eBay. But the clear coat seems to be falling apart.
    If it was a solid color, I wouldn't worry about it. But since it is a graphic, I would want to keep it decent. I'd also like to keep it original if possible.

What do you think about peeling off the clear coat and having only the clear coat re-done?
    Maybe even keep it as is. Let it fall off naturally like a snake shedding its skin.
    Or anything else?

Last edited by pianoguyy; 02-10-2016, 05:23 PM. Reason: NGD

You might get lucky and be able to peel off the clear. It looks like a lot is already removing itself. A potential problem I see is that some clear might have a better bond to the paint. This may mean that some places may actually peel off the paint. A very light touch, patience, and a low setting heat gun could possibly help the removal. Personally, I would send some pics to Mike Learn or Lee Garver at GMW and get their opinions.

Comment

That is a tricky one. Agree that the paint may be better bonded to the clear in other areas, but not sure how the end result will look after removing the clear with a low setting heat gun. Good luck!

Comment

personally i think it looks awesome as it is, as you said like a snake naturally peeling off its its skin. I`d more look to see if theres a way to clear over whats already happening to seal it in and keep that effect. Looks far nicer than ordinary snake imo.

Comment

It may also be possible that whatever's happening is happening from the inside out, so clear coating it right now could be a waste of money as the problem may not go away, but actually worsen.

Definitely get the advice of a pro like Mike Learn.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If you noticed ---
            The clear seems to be add a yellow tint to the overall color. I wonder what the difference would be in appearance if the clear was removed.

I am also wondering what may happen to the graphic if the clear comes off.
            By the time it peels off enough, will a clear re-coat be enough or will I have scratched it up too much and it ends up needing completely re-done.

Either way ---
            Thanks for the answers.

The guitar has a few other little issues, so I will weigh it all, make a decision, and post a NGD if there is one.

Comment

The more I look at it the more I think someone shot a nitro based clear over the existing poly clear.
              Those two don't bond very well.
              Check around the back cover routes and see if there is another clear coat layer where the clear has come off.
              If there is, you should be able to remove it without damaging the paint.
              Last edited by rjohnstone; 07-30-2015, 10:08 AM.
              -Rick

Comment

Does something look off in the placement of the knobs and switch?

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                  Does something look off in the placement of the knobs and switch?
                  Looks like someone added a tone knob later.
                  -Rick

Comment

Could be, but then again I find an Ontario route to be way over-sized for one knob and a 5-way.

Easiest way to check - if you can see bare wood in the Tone hole, it was added after it was painted.

And I did notice the yellowing, however it depends on the environment it has been exposed to, which is also a contributing factor to the condition.

And IIRC someone once mentioned that certain paints used for certain graphics could not accept a poly coat due to adverse reactions between the two.

I'm not sure of any sure-fire tests to determine what the clear is, but I do know that contact cleaner spray (like for pots) will cause poly to lift (as our own WarriorX7/Ken learned the hard way).
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I does kind of look like it was recleared or something. +1 to Mike Learn.

Comment

I heard that back in the day Jackson used Nitro lacquer for the base coats and shot either Polyurethane or Polyester Clear Coats. The Polyester clear is usually used on white guitars. The polyester does no yellow over time like Polyurethane or Lacquer. I would guess that that finish is NOT Nitro Lacquer. The clear looks much too thick. Also lacquer would most likely "Check" over time - bunch of cracks - like old Gibsons.
                        Once again, check with Mike Learn or Lee Garver. I know they have products to shoot over plastics and paints to enhance the bond. So if the paint can be preserved, you would probably be able to get a chemical bond between the original paint and new clear.

Comment

Just to update you --- this one will be coming to eBay. He and I don't see eye to eye on it's value.

Unfortunately, the guy just sold an Eerie Dess Swirl DK2M for $599. Did the DK2M even come in EDS?
                          So he thinks he is going to get $2000 for this, even with the finish issue and a 'weird buzz of undetermined origin'.

And this is very upsetting to me... not because I missed out on an 88 snakeskin Strat.
                          But this is the 2nd USA Jackson that I didn't get -- in like 48 hours. The other being a Korina KV1, where the guy stood me up.
                          American Jacksons so rarely show up around here, and I've had 3 local opportunities in the month of July. Which is more than all of 2014 >> didn't get a damn one of 'em.

Comment

SO...
                            It looks like I bought myself a little going away present.

Nothing like waiting 6 months, lol.

No, I haven't messed around with it yet. I just walked in the door. I'll get to it tomorrow or Friday.
                            But I figured I would update the post since I did end up buying it.

Comment

Happy 6-month-later score!
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X