Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I use to clean my fret board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I use to clean my fret board?

Hello all, I was wondering what you experts recommend on cleaning a fretboard? I have a 2006 Jackson DK2M.
    It has a maple neck so I have heard that I should stay away from lemon oil. But to be honest I am not really sure what to use.
    Any advice would be gladly appreciated.

- Kenneth

Lemon oil is fine.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Is there lacquer on the fretboard? If there is you don't need to use anything as the wood is sealed. To clean it use either Naptha or Light Fluid to clean off the gunk off. Also you can use a damp rag with water also because the wood is sealed and not unfinished like rose wood and ebony fretboards which would obsorb water. I wouldn't use lemon oil as its not a unfinished fretboard that needs to be condition. Lemon oil is not really good for a fret board, people will say use it and recommend it, but there are better options out there. I have been using Linseed oil to condition my fretboards after cleaning for the past 28 years on all my guitars with rosewood fret boards. I was taught this by some one who was Ron Woods from the rolling stones guitar tech. All those cleaners and conditioners are just marketing, these products weren't even available 30 years ago, and just cause people use them doesn't mean they are good for your fretboard. Just my 2 cents.
      Last edited by SylentCommando; 07-21-2015, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SylentCommando View Post
        I have been using Linseed oil to condition my fretboards after cleaning for the past 28 years on all my guitars with rosewood fret boards. I was taught this by some one who was Ron Woods from the rolling stones guitar tech. All those cleaners and conditioners are just marketing, these products weren't even available 30 years ago, and just cause people use them doesn't mean they are good for your fretboard. Just my 2 cents.
        How do you avoid turning the fretboard into a waxy mess after using linseed oil? I used that stuff once. It ended up as if I'd rubbed a candle on the fretboard. Just awful.

Comment

I believe the fingerboard is unfinished maple. Thanks for the advice m

Comment

I've been using lemon oil for 20+ yrs... hasn't failed me yet. lighter fluid hahaha you trying to grill them chops or what?
            \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Thanks man I am going to give lighter fluid a shot!!I am not sure if it is a finished or unfinished fingerboard. But I think lighter fluid can be used on either from what your saying .
              Thanks for the help dude!!

Originally posted by SylentCommando View Post
              Is there lacquer on the fretboard? If there is you don't need to use anything as the wood is sealed. To clean it use either Naptha or Light Fluid to clean off the gunk off. Also you can use a damp rag with water also because the wood is sealed and not unfinished like rose wood and ebony fretboards which would obsorb water. I wouldn't use lemon oil as its not a unfinished fretboard that needs to be condition. Lemon oil is not really good for a fret board, people will say use it and recommend it, but there are better options out there. I have been using Linseed oil to condition my fretboards after cleaning for the past 28 years on all my guitars with rosewood fret boards. I was taught this by some one who was Ron Woods from the rolling stones guitar tech. All those cleaners and conditioners are just marketing, these products weren't even available 30 years ago, and just cause people use them doesn't mean they are good for your fretboard. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Your welcome man. You can you either Naptha or Lighter fluid, its the same thing. Naptha in a can is pretty cheap though and will last you for years, it comes in a big can and you can get it at home depot or any hardware store. I use lighter fluid which you can get at any corner store 7-11 etc.

Comment

How much Linseed Oil did you put on? You only need a few little drops your not pickling the fret board. 8-9 tiny drops, rub it in and wait few minutes and rub the excess off. Simple lol.

Comment

Lemon oil is fine. Wipe it on, then go back a wipe off excess. Easy

Comment

The DK2M neck is oil finished, I believe, not unfinished. Maple boards need some sort of finishing on them or they get dry real fast and absorb body oils quickly. Most of what people find on these boards and want to clean off is the grey/black gunk from playing and from fret wear. You'll know the difference between a maple board with no finish in a hurry, because it will look more like someone wiped their ass with it, then wiped someone else's ass with it.

However, it is possible some dipshit stripped the board and you now have an unfinished fretted shitwiper, in which case lighter fluid is your best bet, since flammable petroleum products are great at destroying organic matter like that.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        You'll know the difference between a maple board with no finish in a hurry, because it will look more like someone wiped their ass with it, then wiped someone else's ass with it.

However, it is possible some dipshit stripped the board and you now have an unfinished fretted shitwiper, in which case lighter fluid is your best bet, since flammable petroleum products are great at destroying organic matter like that.
                        The ultimate description, hahaha!
                        https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

I always use naphtha/lighter fluid and a lint-free cloth to clean the fretboard and then follow it up with that Dunlop lemon oil stuff. Naphtha is good at getting rid of the grime but keep in mind it tends to draw moisture out of the wood in the process, so going over the fretboard with some lemon oil afterwards is a good idea.
                          It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                          ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Working...
                          X